Walmart Recalls Better Homes & Gardens Room Spray
Walmart just announced today a recall of approximately 3,900 bottles of essential oil room sprays due to the possible presence of a rare and dangerous bacteria that has been associated with a risk of serious injury and death. The Better Homes & Gardens-branded product—Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones—was sold in approximately 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online at walmart.com from February - October 2021.
Retailing for about $4 a bottle, the now-discontinued product was available in the six scents below:
- 84140411420 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender & Chamomile
- 84140411421 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lemon and Mandarin
- 84140411422 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender
- 84140411423 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Peppermint
- 84140411424 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lime & Eucalyptus
- 84140411425 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Sandalwood and Vanilla
Four confirmed cases of melioidosis, including two deaths in the U.S., caused the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate the source. A bottle of chamomile room spray found in one of the homes of the melioidosis decedents tested positive for the bacteria.
The CDC determined a version of the room spray contained the bacteria Burkholeria pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis. There is a wide range of symptoms of melioidosis that can be mistaken for other diseases, including fever, cough, chest pain, headache, respiratory distress, and more.
Consumers are urged to stop using the product immediately and return the product to a Walmart store in a double-bagged, clear zip-top resealable bag. Consumers should wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on and wipe down counters and surfaces that may have been exposed to the spray. If you have used the product within the last 21 days and experience fever or other symptoms, the CDC urges you to seek medical care and tell your doctor about the product exposure.
This story originally appeared on bhg.com