Cara Delevingne Says Harvey Weinstein Sexually Harassed Her in a Hotel Room
Cara Delevingne is the latest actress to accuse Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment. On Wednesday, she claimed the movie mogul tried to get her to kiss another woman in front of him and threatened her career over her sexual orientation.
In a statement released to her Instagram, Delevingne, 25, detailed her alleged experience with Weinstein while meeting about the Weinstein Company film Tulip Fever in 2014 (the film was released in 2017).
“When I first started to work as an actress, I was working on a film and I received a call from Harvey Weinstein asking if I had slept with any of the women I was seen out with in the media,” she wrote. “It was a very odd and uncomfortable call… I answered none of his questions and hurried off the phone but before I hung up, he said to me that if I was gay or decided to be with a women specifically in public, that I’d never get the role of a straight woman or make it as an actress in Hollywood.”
Delevingne claims that a few years later, she was invited to Weinstein’s hotel for a meeting. After speaking in the lobby, the movie mogul invited her up to his hotel room, she alleges. The actress said she denied his invitation at first, but that his assistant encouraged her to go upstairs.
“When I arrived I was relieved to find another woman in his room and thought immediately that I was safe,” Delevingne wrote. “He asked us to kiss and she began some sort of advances upon his direction.”
In an attempt to divert Weinstein’s attention, Delevingne said she began to sing.
“I was so nervous. After singing I said again that I had to leave,” she wrote. “He walked me to the door and stood in front of it and tried to kiss me on the lips.”
Despite rejecting Weinstein’s alleged advances, the Paper Towns star still went on to appear in Tulip Fever but said she’s felt guilty ever since. “I felt awful that I did the movie,” she wrote.
“I was also terrified that this sort of thing had happened to so many women I know but no one had said anything because of fear. I want women and girls to know that being harassed or abused or raped is NEVER their fault.”
Delevingne said she feels “relieved” to tell her alleged story.
“I actually feel better and I’m proud of the women who are brave enough to speak. This isn’t easy but there are strength in our numbers. As I said, this is only the beginning. In every industry and especially in Hollywood, men abuse their power using fear and get away with it. This must stop. The more we talk about it, the less power we give them. I urge you all to talk and to the people who defend these men, you are part of the problem.”
Along with working with Weinstein, she also walked in the 2013 Marchesa runway show—the fashion brand owned by Weinstein’s estranged wife Georgina Chapman.
In a bombshell New York Times report last week, eight women spoke out against Weinstein, accusing him of inappropriate behavior. The paper also reported that Weinstein reached private settlements with eight women, including actress Rose McGowan.
Following the initial report, Weinstein said in a statement that he was working with therapists and planned to “deal with this issue head-on.” He has since been fired from his powerhouse studio, The Weinstein Company, and his wife, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman, has announced she’s leaving him.
“My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time,” Chapman says in a statement to People.
On Tuesday, Paltrow and Jolie added their own accounts of alleged mistreatment. Paltrow told the NYT that Weinstein sexually harassed her in a hotel room when she was 22. The encounter allegedly ended with Weinstein placing his hands on her and suggesting a massage.
Jolie also told the outlet that she had a “bad experience” with Weinstein in a hotel room during the release of Playing by Heart in the late ’90s.
Also on Tuesday, the The New Yorker revealed—among 13 different women’s accounts of alleged sexual harassment, assault or rape—that the mogul allegedly forcibly performed oral sex on Italian actress Asia Argento two decades ago. Actresses Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette also claimed that after rejecting Weinstein’s unwanted advances, they were removed from or kept from being hired for projects.
In response to the lengthy allegations made against Weinstein in the New Yorker piece, a spokesperson for Weinstein said, “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
On Tuesday, multiple sources confirmed to People that Weinstein plans to enter a residential treatment facility.