The Much-Anticipated Big Little Lies Soundtrack Arrives on Friday
HBO is releasing a Big Little Lies soundtrack this Friday—the next best thing to receiving a personalized playlist from the drama's resident pint-sized music lover Chloe herself.
The tracklist includes series opener Michael Kiwanauka's "Cold Little Heart" plus Jane's (Shailene Woodley) go-to running song, Martha Wainwright’s “Bloody Mother F–king A–hole,” and Madeline (Reese Witherspoon) favorites like Leon Bridges' "River" and Alabama Shakes' "This Feeling." It also features Zoë Kravitz's cover of Elvis Presley's "Don’t," which her character will presumably perform during trivia night in the upcoming finale.
"[Big Little Lies director Jean-Marc Vallée] uses music like Jackson Pollock used paint," music supervisor Susan Jacobs said in a statement. "There is a lot of truth in the music of Big Little Lies."
Vallée's previous work has also been praised for its use of music, like 2014's Wild, where Simon & Garfunkel's "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" floated in and out of scenes with its hiking protagonist (played by Witherspoon).
"I've never encountered a director that works with music the way he does," Jacobs, who also collaborated with Vallée on Wild, previously told EW.
See the tracklist for the Big Little Lies soundtrack below, and hear the set when it begins streaming Friday. Big Little Lies' finale airs Sunday at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.
- Cold Little Heart—Michael Kiwanuka
- Victim of Love—Charles Bradley
- Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole—Martha Wainwright
- River—Leon Bridges
- Queen of Boredness— Kinny (featuring Diesler)
- September Song—Agnes Obel
- This Feeling—Alabama Shakes
- Changes—Charles Bradley
- Straight From the Heart—Irma Thomas
- Nothing Arrived (Live From Spotify London)—Villagers
- Don’t—Zoë Kravitz
- The Wonder of You—Conor O’Brien
- How’s the World Treating You—Daniel Agee
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want—Ituana