On Lyonne: A Frame blouse, Jennifer Fisher earrings, and her own pants. On Mar: A Frame button-up and her own jewelry. Photographed by Johnny Miller.
Angie Mar's Fried Chicken
How to Make It
1. Arrange chicken on a sheet tray and season heavily on all sides with salt.
2. Set aside for three hours to cure (1½ hours in the refrigerator and 1½ hours at room temperature).
3. In three medium mixing bowls, set up a dredging station: Fill two bowls with an evenly divided mixture of flour, salt, and cayenne and the third bowl with buttermilk.
4. In a fryer or large heavy-bottomed pot, bring the oil to 325° F.
5. Dip and evenly coat each piece of chicken in the first bowl of flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Dip in buttermilk, then in the second flour mixture.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack and repeat until all chicken is dredged.
7. One piece at a time, drop as much chicken as will fit into the hot oil, shaking the pot slightly so the pieces don’t stick together. Cook about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crispy.
8. Transfer pieces to another wire rack and lightly season with salt while they’re still hot. Repeat with remaining chicken, then plate.
9. With a spoon, lightly drizzle hot honey over the chicken. Season with a pinch of smoked sea salt and serve.
For spicy honey: Combine honey and hot sauces in a small pot over medium heat and barely bring to a simmer; remove from heat.
The Beatrice Inn