Happy Birthday Pancakes
How to Make It
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Pour the whole mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until the wet and dry ingredients are fully incorporated. Let rest for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the cream by hand or with a hand mixer for about 5 minutes, until it holds very soft peaks. Add the confectioners’ sugar and a dash of vanilla and beat for about 3 more minutes, until it forms slightly firmer but still spoonable soft peaks.
4. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt about half of the clarified butter.
5. Just before cooking the pancakes, fold 2 tablespoons of jimmies into the batter. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of batter into the skillet. Cook until browned around the edges, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter, adding the rest of the butter to the pan to cook (you should have 6 small pancakes).
6. Stack all of the pancakes on a plate. Top with the whipped cream, sprinkle with more jimmies, light a candle, and sing "Happy Birthday"!
From Over Easy by Joy Wilson; published by Clarkson Potter. Copyright ©2017 Joy the Baker, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used with Permission. Page 92-93.