The Ivy Chelsea Garden Shepherd’s Pie
How to Make It
1. Lightly oil both the lamb and beef mince. Heat a frying pan until smoking and cook the meat, mixing continuously, for about 5 minutes until the meat is a light brown color. Pour off the excess liquid and put in a dish to one side until the rest of the ingredients are ready.
2. In the same pan, heat a little oil and gently sweat the shallots, thyme, button mushrooms, and carrots for about 8 minutes. Add the mince and mix in the tomato purée and cook for about 5 minutes; then add the chopped tomatoes, red wine, and reduce for about 10 minutes. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Add the Worcestershire sauce and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; add more Worcestershire sauce if required and then the oregano. Keep to one side.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4. Peel and cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces. Cook in boiling salted water for around 15 minutes until soft; then drain and return to the pan over a gentle heat to remove any excess moisture. Using an old-fashioned masher or a potato ricer, thoroughly mash the potatoes and mix them with butter and season to taste.
5. To assemble and serve, put the meat mixture into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed potato, put into the oven and bake for around 30 minutes. It should turn a nice golden color.