Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Sauce
How to Make It
To make the sauce:
1. Using a handheld mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and ¼ cup room temperature butter together in a large bowl until the mixture is light in color, about 1 minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in about 2 tablespoons whole milk, enough of the milk to make a smooth, opaque sauce with a drizzling consistency—the sauce should not be thin or transparent. Set aside at room temperature.
To make the waffles:
2. Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 200°F.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, ⅔ cup confectioners’ sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Whisk the buttermilk, 1 cup whole milk, eggs, butter, food coloring, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and vinegar together in another bowl, being sure to dissolve the food coloring. Pour into the dry mixture and whisk just until smooth. Do not overmix.
4. Lightly oil the waffle iron grids. Spoon the recommended amount of batter into the waffle iron, close the lid, and cook according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer the waffle to an oven rack (not a baking sheet) and keep warm in the oven while making the remaining waffles.
5. Cut the waffles along their grid lines into individual portions. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with some of the sauce. Serve immediately, with the remaining sauce passed on the side.
Excerpted from the book SHARE by Chris Santos. Copyright © 2017 by Chris Santos. Reprinted with permission of Grand Central Life & Style.