James Ransom/Artist Rep Inc.
How to Assemble Amirah Kassem's Explosion Cake
How to Make It
1. Prepare the cake mix as directed and divide the batter equally among six bowls.
2. Mix the food-coloring shades of your choice in each bowl.
3. Bake all six colors individually in greased cake pans (to save time, bake in batches and refrigerate extra batter while the first batch cooks).
4. Once all six layers have cooled, cut a circle from the center of five of the layers with the round cutter, leaving the top layer intact.
5. Pipe a circle of frosting on a cake stand, and set the first layer on top of it to hold the cake in place.
6. Pipe a thick circle of frosting over the first layer, smooth it with an offset spatula or knife, and place the second layer on top.
7. Repeat with the remaining center layers.
8. Fill the cake cavity with the sprinkle-candy mixture all the way to the top, flush with the fifth layer.
9. Pipe a circle of frosting on the fifth layer, smooth it with an offset spatula or knife, and place the sixth layer on top.
10. Frost the outside of the cake, and move it along with the cake stand onto the center of a baking pan.
11. Cover the sides and top of the cake from the bottom up with handfuls of nonpareils (the pan will catch the excess).
12. Using icing pens or pouches, draw on the designs of your choice.
13. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
14. Serve by cutting a large slice and slowly removing it with a cake server; allow the candy mixture to spill out, and invite guests to take pictures.