Facebook and YouTube also took down the president's video.

Advertisement

UPDATE: Jan. 8, 2021: Twitter Safety announced that President Donald Trump's account, @realdonaldtrump, would be permanently suspended, citing "risk of further incitement of violence." The company further explained the decision in a blog post.

"We assessed the two Tweets referenced above under our Glorification of Violence policy, which aims to prevent the glorification of violence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and determined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021," the post reads.

UPDATE Jan. 7, 2021: Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook and Instagram will block Donald Trump from posting on the platforms for the remainder of his term.

"The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden," Zuckerberg wrote in a statement. "His decision to use his platform to condone rather than condemn the actions of his supporters at the Capitol building has rightly disturbed people in the US and around the world. We removed these statements yesterday because we judged that their effect -- and likely their intent -- would be to provoke further violence."

He continued, "We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great. Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete."

Previously...

Twitter has removed President Donald Trump's two most recent tweets in what may be the social media platform's first-ever explicit censoring of the president. Several Twitter users noticed that Twitter removed the president's tweets and replaced them with a disclaimer, "This Tweet is no longer available," and a link to learn more about the site's policy on the violation of Twitter Rules.

"We are also exploring other escalated enforcement actions and will keep the public updated with any significant developments," Twitter Safety's official feed wrote.

Twitter Safety also added that Trump's account would be locked for 12 hours after he removes the tweets. However, if he doesn't remove it, his account will remain locked indefinitely.

CNBC and Variety added that both YouTube and Facebook also removed a video from the president.

"This is an emergency situation and we are taking appropriate emergency measures, including removing President Trump's video," Guy Rosen, Facebook's Vice President of Integrity, said in a tweet. "We removed it because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence."

The action comes after Facebook said that it would be "actively reviewing and removing any content that breaks these rules."

"The violent protests in the Capitol today are a disgrace," Andy Stone, a Facebook spokesman, said in a statement. "We prohibit incitement and calls for violence on our platform."

Facebook added that it would be banning President Trump from the platform for 24 hours.

CNBC reports that YouTube removed the clip because the platform determined that it violated policies of "alleging widespread fraud changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. Election." YouTube will allow copies to be uploaded "if uploaded with additional context and sufficient educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic value."

Alex Stamos, Facebook's former chief security officer, said that it's the right time for both Twitter and Facebook to limit Trump's reach.

"Twitter and Facebook have to cut him off," Stamos wrote. "There are no legitimate equities left and labeling won't do it."

Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, tweeted that President Trump's Instagram account would also be suspended. Unlike Twitter, his ban will last 24 hours.