Get the Recipe for the Delicious Doughnuts Stars Will Be Eating at This Year's Sundance Film Festival
Every January, our favorite celebrities flock to Park City, Utah, for the prestigious Sundance Film Festival. This year's event, held Jan. 21-31, will feature a slew of much-hyped films starring actresses like Michelle Williams, Greta Gerwig, and newcomer Lily-Rose Depp (the gorgeous daughter of Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis). In between screenings, panels, and concerts, festival-goers will be chowing down on amazing gourmet goodies—like the famous Brioche Donuts from popular L.A.-based restaurant The Church Key. (The eatery will be hosting the KIA Supper Suite, where the treats will be served.)
Topped with a brown butter glaze and a perfect pocket of caramel, these decadent doughnuts are almost worth a trip to Park City. Or, you could whip them up in your own kitchen this weekend. Take them for a spin with the recipe below.
2 tbsp white vinegar
3/8 cup milk
2 tbsp shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 qt oil for frying
For the Glaze
1 lb butter
3 ½ cups confectioners sugar
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
Optional: caramel sauce ($14; mouth.com)
1. Stir the vinegar into the milk and let stand for a few minutes until thickened.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and stir the dry mixture into the sugar mixture alternating with the milk and vinegar mixture.
4. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to ⅓-inch thick. Cut donuts using a round cutter. Let stand for 10 minutes.
5. Heat the oil to 375°Fahrenheit. Fry the doughnuts until golden brown. Drain them on a wired rack. Dip them into the glaze and serve warm.
6. Using a squeeze bottle, squirt a small amount of caramel sauce