Host a Touchdown-Worthy Super Bowl Party with Two Recipes Straight From San Francisco's Levi Stadium
Even if you don't have tickets to Sunday's big game, you can still feast on the same food as the lucky fans attending Super Bowl 50 at San Francisco's Levi's Stadium. We got our greasy mitts on two recipes from Centerplate head chef Santana Diaz so you can at least eat like you're there.
For the football stadium menu, Diaz pulls inspiration from locally sourced ingredients. "California is credited with culinary innovation and forward-thinking, especially here in the Bay Area," the chef tells InStyle. "The deviation from the norm is what makes our menu options unique."
Below, chef Diaz shares his winning recipes for garlic fries (the stadium's No. 1 best-seller) and a vegetarian BBQ jackfruit sandwich, one of Diaz's favorite menu offerings. "What other large sporting venue will you find a BBQ jackfruit sandwich?" he asks. "It is definitely far from your typical football menu item, and that is what makes it so exciting." Game on.
Garlic Fries (above)
2 to 2½ lbs hand-cut fries (keeping some skins on)
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (must be hand-chopped)
5 to 6 oz olive oil
1 tbsp Kosher coarse salt
1 tbsp coarse ground pepper
1. Fry French fries until golden brown.
2. Drain well of oil or blot on towels.
3. Combine olive oil, chopped garlic, and fresh parsley in a large mixing bowl.
4. Fold in the fries and toss until fries are well-coated.
5. Season with Kosher salt and coarse-ground pepper to taste.
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
Makes 6 sandwiches
For the Sandwiches
6 plain egg buns
Apple jalapeño dressing (see below recipe)
18 oz. cabbage, shredded with carrot
30 oz. fresh jackfruit fresh, cleaned, and seeded
15 oz. smokey BBQ sauce
8 oz. vegetable stock
1 oz. tomato paste
For the Apple Jalapeño Dressing (Makes 58 oz.)
6½ oz. vinegar apple cider
25 oz. unsweetened applesauce
.8 oz. Dijon mustard
.8 oz. dill weed, finely chopped
.8 oz. Kosher salt
4 oz. pepper jalapeño, finely chopped
20 oz. oil salad, canola
Directions for Dressing
Combine ingredients. Store remainder in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Directions for Sandwich
1. Toss cabbage, carrot with apple jalapeño dressing, check seasoning, set aside.
2. Place jackfruit, smoked BBQ sauce, tomato paste, and 4 oz. of vegetable stock in an oven-proof saucepan, bring to a slow simmer, cover and braise in oven until jackfruit is tender. Add more stock, if needed.
3. To build the sandwich, toast egg bun, place braised jackfruit on the bottom part of the bun, place cabbage slaw on top of jackfruit, half cover with top part of the bun.