Summer Bucket List: The End-Of-Summer Events You Have to Attend This Weekend!
While fall doesn't officially begin until September 22, one of the last beach weekends of the season starts now, so we put together a comprehensive list of events you have to attend in summer's final days. From New York City to Los Angeles, check out the free concerts, outdoor marketplaces, and even public dance lessons you can take advantage of while the weather is still warm. Scroll down to see the full list of activities!
- Bryant Park Yoga: Even if you missed Monday night movies in the park, you can still reach enlightenment with an intense yoga session on the lawn.
- MoMA PS1 Warm Up: Until September 7, you can lounge in MoMA PS1's courtyard and listen to up-and-coming DJs spin a set.
- Fete Paradiso: Governor's Island gets transformed into a 19th century French carnival, with vintage rides, carousels, and games. Plus, a bumper car pavilion from 1900 has been converted into a beer garden, where you can catch up with friends, and indulge in classic French fare.
- Brooklyn Flea: Head over to Brooklyn's trendy Fort Greene neighborhood to shop a mix of vintage and artisan goods.
- Smorgasburg: Open until 6 PM every Saturday through November 24, you can sample and shop cuisine local to the New York City area. Up to 100 vendors show up each weekend, meaning your sweet and savory spread is about to reach a new Brooklyn-inspired level.
- The Magnificent Mile Shopping Festival: On the prowl for a bargain? Look no further than Michigan avenue, where you can score serious discounts while spotting celebrities like Christina Hendricks, who is scheduled to attend.
- Chicago Jazz Festival: Unwind with smooth jazz in Millennium Park through September 1. Even better, it's free to attend.
- Chicago Summer Dance: Feel like busting a move? Held in Grant Park's Spirit of Music Garden until September 15, you can participate in public dance lessons, with styles ranging from ballroom to salsa, and everything in between. After your lesson, stick around for live entertainment, and of course, more dancing.
- The Austin Bat Fest: Held on Saturday at 7 PM, viewers can line up to watch 1.5 million bats take flight, while enjoying live music, arts and crafts, and indulgent fair food.
- The Orange International Street Fair: Foodies rejoice! For years, the Orange International Street Fair has served up gourmet picks from around the globe, and this year's theme is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- L.A. County Arts Free Concerts: No matter where you reside in Los Angeles, you can catch a performance from up-and-coming local artists, held in various venues around the city until November.
- John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl: If Harry Potter, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or Indiana Jones are among your favorite movies, chances are, you're familiar with composer John Williams' work. On August 30 and 31, Williams will take the stage at the Hollywood Bowl with Julie Andrews and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. You won't want to miss this!
NATIONWIDE:Even if there aren't many events taking place in your city, cross the following off your list to make the most of the remaining days of summer.
- Hit up a baseball game: Whether you opt for a major or minor league event, nothing is more classically Americana than going out to the ball game.
- Visit a local farm or farmer's market: Stock up on seasonal fruits and veggies before the temperatures drop.
- Shop at a seasonal sale: Truth be told, sales on clothing, accessories, and beauty products happen throughout the year, but since most retailers are clearing out for their fall merchandise, you can grab the items you've been eyeing all summer at a serious discount. Plus, it's much easier to haul massive shopping bags home now than it is in the winter!
- Go to an outdoor/rooftop bar or restaurant: Once it gets cold, most restaurants or bars will close their outdoor seating areas, so take advantage of them now.
- Visit a museum: Many museums have discounted or even free rates during the summer, so strike while the iron -- and weather -- is still hot.
- Go on a weekend beach trip: If you haven't lounged on the beach all summer, this weekend is the perfect time to go. Soak up the last summer rays with an icy cocktail in hand.
- Chase down an ice cream truck: Go ahead, channel your inner child and indulge -- we won't judge. And whatever you order, make sure to opt for extra sprinkles.
Plus, make the most of summer's end with our favorite summer cocktails.