The Sochi Winter Olympics Are One Month Away! Here Are Four Reasons to Get Excited
The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi are just one month away! This is the first time Russia is hosting the Winter Games, which run from February 6th to the 23rd. As if the 2014 Games' slogan ("Hot. Cool. Yours") isn't enough to intrigue, we've highlighted four fun facts that are getting us pumped for the big event:
1. These Games Are Getting The Most Coverage Ever Hide your Twitter feed. Every single Olympic event will be live-streamed via NBCOlympics.com. Across its platforms, NBCUniversal will be presenting over 1,500 hours, a record for a Winter Games. Talk about non-stop action! If you don't like spoilers, you've officially been warned.
2. 12 New Sports are DebutingFigure skating and luge just got more exciting with new coed team and relay events. Another standout from the 12 new events is women's ski jumping, which has been fighting for inclusion in the Games for 16 years. We can't wait to watch the action for this breakthrough event (and it doesn't hurt that the reigning world champion is the U.S.'s 19-year-old Sarah Hendrickson!).
3. Team USA Favorites are Going for the Gold Whether skier Lindsey Vonn will be defending her Vancouver win is still unknown, but we do know she'll be turning heads regardless.* We love the snow leopard helmet that Cynthia Rowley designed exclusively for Vonn to wear in Sochi (and we're hoping Vonn's beau Tiger Woods will be making an appearance as well). Another USA fave to watch: Vonn's fellow Forbes 30-Under-30 honoree and two-time Olympic snowboarding champion Shaun White.
4. Medal-Worthy Outfits will be Front and Center From the always-gorgeous figure skaters' dresses to Ralph Lauren's USA-made athlete attire, the Games are sure to be stunning from a fashion perspective. An added plus to U.S. athletes winning medals? Seeing the cool silver and fleece gear by Nike on the podium.
* Note: On January 7th, Lindsey Vonn announced on her Facebook page that she will not be competing in Sochi due to an ongoing ACL injury. We wish her a speedy and healthy recovery!