Remember This: 5 Style Lessons From Departing Coach Designer Reed Krakoff
With today’s announcement that Reed Krakoff is leaving Coach after helming the brand since 1996 to focus more on his own line that he launched three years ago, we looked back through our archives to re-read the memorable quotes he gave us about his design philosophy, which has earned him fans like Charlize Theron, Claire Danes, Lena Dunham, and Julianna Margulies. "If clothes can help you see yourself on your best day, why shouldn't every day be that day?" he previously told InStyle. Scroll down to see five pieces of style advice from the designer who believes that women should feel special every day.
1. FOCUS ON SPORTSWEAR"When a silhouette or shape is as beautiful as it is functional and relevant, that's true luxury."
2. LOVE IT AT FIRST SIGHT"It doesn't matter how much effort went into the making of a garment; your desire for it must be immediate. If someone has to explain an item to you, it isn't working. Sure, it's a treat to realize that the python skin on a shoe is hand-stained, but first you have to really love it."
3. DON'T FIGHT THE FEELING"It's not enough to check yourself out in the mirror and like your reflection. You want to experience clothing—the fabric against your skin, how it moves when you do. This is what creates true desire. So before you invest in a coat or even a cotton T, see how it feels first."
4. LET YOUR WARDROBE SPEAK FOR YOU"Clothes should not only fit your life but also spread the word about who you are. Instead of going out there as someone else's mannequin, find pieces that let people know you are not like everyone else. It's good to be tasteful, but it's even better to be memorable."
5. BE UNEXPECTED"Great fashion is all about surprise. It should always be about doing something that isn't by the book."
Plus, see all the ladies who love to wear Reed Krakoff designs.