The Pop Culture Halloween Costumes You'll See Everywhere This Year
If you haven't been inundated with Halloween and fall memes yet, you probably don't need a reminder that the holiday is creeping up on the calendar. Don't worry. There's plenty of time to pull together a Halloween costume that's current, clever, and doesn't require couture levels of craftsmanship. With our picks, you'll be the talk of any party and snag every single Like on the 'Gram.
The Kardashian "Triplets"
- The moment: Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Kylie Jenner all welcomed adorable daughters this year (Chicago, True and Stormi, respectively). And yes, they've been photographed hanging out together.
- The costume: Pink onesies ($30; amazon.com).
- Good for: Groups of Kardashian super fans.
Serena Williams In a Catsuit
- The moment: The tennis court got a major makeover courtesy of superstar Serena Williams, who hit the French Open in a super hero-esque look.
- The costume: A black catsuit ($160; farfetch.com) with a cinched red sash at the waist. (A black tutu and single-sleeve black top are a good eye-catching alternative if you're feeling more like Serena Williams at the U.S. Open in custom Off-White x Nike.)
- Good for: The sports enthusiast.
Bride Meghan Markle
- The moment: Before she was the Duchess of Sussex, American gem Meghan Markle walked down the aisle in May.
- The costume: Meghan Markle in her bridal gown by Givenchy's Clare Weight Keller (splurge on the look-alike here).
- Good for: Anyone with leftover bridesmaids dresses or royal-family obsessees.
The Lime Green Queen
Kanye West & Lil Pump
The moment: Say what you will about Kanye West, but there's no denying he had a big music moment when he returned with a new single alongside Lil Pump last month. And we do mean "big" in both the literal and figurative senses.
The costume: Lil Pump and Kanye West as slow-moving, boxy dudes from the "I Love It" music video. Cardboard boxes, oversize plush sandals and sheets will probably do the trick.
Good for: BFFs with DIY skills.
The Freaky Nun (from The Nun)
The moment: The Met Gala theme went mainstream and got a little too scary when this horror film was released this September.
The costume: A habit and some good face makeup.
Good for: Horror-movie aficionados.
Cardi B, But with that Head Bump
- The moment: Cardi vs. Nicki was the show down of the century when the two rappers duked it out at a New York Fashion Week party last month. A shoe was thrown, and, well, Cardi ended up with quite a visible head injury.
- The costume: Cardi B. Head Bump — fancy ballgown ($44; amazon.com) and a bit of papier-mâche is all it takes!
- Good for: Pop-culture fans with a twisted admiration for current events and celebrity feuds.
Mean Girls, But Make It Broadway
The moment: Mean Girls Day is October 3, but this group costume's still fetch. Though the movie technically debuted in 2004, the Broadway revival means the classic is having another moment.
The costume: Thankfully, the cast of the movie got a 2018 update for the musical, meaning all you need to worry about is head-to-toe pink (you betcha, Halloween falls on a Wednesday this year) and a matching iPhone case.
Good for: Die-hard fans that snagged tickets to the new Broadway musical.
Blake Lively Doing Her Suit Thing
The moment: The A Simple Favor press tour got very, very meta when star Blake Lively wore only suits while promoting the film.
The costume: Any brightly colored suit ($50; express.com), plus a blonde wig and a cane, if you're feeling extra.
Good for: Anyone who needs to recycle those interview outfits.
The moment: Black Panther dominated pop culture this year (and for good reason).
The costume: There are plenty of characters to choose from, though we're partial to Ramonda (Angela Bassett). A little bit more DIY will be required to ace her excellent headpieces, but it's worth it.
Good for: A group that wants to grab all the attention.
Mamma Mia, It's Meryl Streep!
The moment: Mamma Mia, here we go again. The sequel caused quite a stir, and even though Meryl Streep wasn't a central character in this version, we still stan her.
The costume: Meryl's Mamma Mia overalls ($95; topshop.com).
Good for: Partygoers that want to stay comfortable and channel the greatest actor of our time.
Man of the Mountain, Justin Timberlake
The moment: We wouldn't blame you if you missed the 2018 Super Bowl Half Time show — there was a lot of camouflage action happening. (Ha, ha.)
The costume: A remake of Justin Timberlake's camo print Stella McCartney suit, complete with that orange bandana.
Good for: Men (and women) of the woods.