Actor Apologizes for Threatening Tweet About Barron Trump that Caused Melania to Call Secret Service
Actor Peter Fonda has issued an apology for a threatening tweet about 12-year-old First Son Barron Trump.
On Wednesday morning, the 78-year-old brother of Jane Fonda and son of the late Hollywood legend Henry Fonda, fired off a series of critical tweets about the First Family regarding the Trump administration's zero-tolerance immigration policy, which resulted in the separation of thousands of immigrant children from their parents.
The offensive tweet about Barron read, in all caps: "WE SHOULD RIP BARRON TRUMP FROM HIS MOTHER’S ARMS AND PUT HIM IN A CAGE WITH PEDOPHILES AND SEE IF MOTHER WILL WILL STAND UP AGAINST THE GIANT ASSHOLE SHE IS MARRIED TO." The tweet has since been deleted.
Immediately following the post, the First Lady's communications director Stephanie Grisham released a statement calling his words "sick and irresponsible" and added that Melania had contacted the Secret Service.
Fonda has also received backlash from other members of the Trump family, including Donald Trump Jr., who called the actor "sick" on social media. Don Jr. called on Sony Pictures to halt the release of Fonda's upcoming film, Boundaries, likening the situation to Roseanne Barr's racist tweet, which led to the cancellation of her eponymous ABC sitcom.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Sony Pictures condemned the Fonda's words, calling his statement "abhorrent, reckless and dangerous," but will move forward with the release of the film. Boundaries, which stars Christopher Plummer and sees Fonda in a supporting role, premiered earlier this year at South by Southwest, and will open to just five theaters on Friday.
In a statement issued via his publicist, Fonda said: "I tweeted something highly inappropriate and vulgar about the president and his family in response to the devastating images I was seeing on television."
He continued, "Like many Americans, I am very impassioned and distraught over the situation with children separated from their families at the border, but I went way too far. It was wrong and I should not have done it. I immediately regretted it and sincerely apologize to the family for what I said and any hurt my words have caused.”
On Wednesday afternoon, President Trump issued an Executive Order which would halt the practice of separating children from their parents. However, in continuation of his "zero-tolerance" policy, migrants (including children) who cross the border illegally will still be detained—however, they will be held as families.