This doesn't mean that it's over, though.

By Alyssa Hardy
Updated May 01, 2020 @ 8:45 am
Advertisement

Meghan Markle's legal team has lost the first part of their privacy claim against the MailOnline and The Mail on Sunday's publisher Associated Newspapers. The part in question refers to the publishing of a private, handwritten letter the Duchess of Sussex sent to her father, Thomas Markle. Her legal team claimed that the publishing of the letter was "harassing, humiliating, manipulating and exploiting" of her father.

According to royal reporter Omid Scobie, the judge struck out several accusations in the case. On Twitter, Scobie said, "Judge based decision to strike out additional elements on a few grounds: Publisher’s motive is not relevant in a privacy claim — Litigating the issues would be disproportionately complicated — Elements had been introduced in a way that did not meet some procedural requirements."

A spokesperson for Schillings, Markle's legal team, said, "Today's ruling makes very clear that the core elements of this case do not change and will continue to move forward." They continued, "Whilst the Judge recognises that there is a claim for breach of privacy and copyright, we are surprised to see that his ruling suggests that dishonest behaviour is not relevant."

Scobie also added that "it was conceded by Mail on Sunday’s legal rep that this ruling will not affect Meghan’s ability “to get home” on the case."