Make This at Your Next Party: Chef David Burke's Green Onion Jalapeño Waffle with Deviled Egg Salad
Tis' the season for holiday fetes and we're always on the look out for great party food—especially ones that can be enjoyed while holding a cocktail!
For ideas on how to make our own, we looked to chef David Burke. With his ten eponymous restaurants across the country, we'd say he's quite the expert on mouthwatering creations, including this jalapeño-dotted one. "The hint of spice is so unexpected," he says. (Bonus: the dish can be prepped hours ahead of a party. Just before serving, reheat the waffles, and top with salad.) Plus, it's all about the perfect pairing in this case: a bit of sweet (waffle) with the savory (hello deviled egg!). Read on for the directions.
To make the tiny waffles, we used a Sunbeam mini waffle maker ($20, amazon.com).
Makes: 24 mini waffles
2 cups all-purpose flour2 tbsp sugar1 tsp salt½ tsp baking soda1 tsp ground cumin2 large eggs2 tbsp canola oil1¼ cups buttermilk1 tsp minced jalapeño (use less if you would prefer a subtler take)½ cup shredded jack cheese4 scallions, chopped, using mostly white flesh and some green½ cup seltzerCooking sprayDirections:
1. Preheat waffle maker .
2. Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Then incorporate into the dry ingredients.
4. Fold in jalapeño, cheese, and scallions. Add seltzer and mix well.
5. Spray the machine liberally with cooking spray. Pour about 1½ tsp batter onto the grids of the waffle iron.
6. Cook each batch for approximately 3 minutes, until slightly golden.
7 large eggs, hard boiled and peeled1 tbsp crème fraîche2 tbsp mayo1 tsp Dijon mustard1 tsp Old Bay spice1 tsp smoked paprika1 tbsp chopped chives2 tsp kosher salt1 tsp cracked black pepper1 tbsp finely chopped parsleySlivered red jalapeños and julienned scallions for garnishDirections:
1. Chop eggs and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients; then mix with eggs.
3. Place a spoonful of salad on top of waffles.
4. Garnish with jalapeños and scallions.RELATED: Brussels Sprouts Gratin Recipe