Liquid Gold: Detox In the New Year with These Juice Cleansing Tips
Christmas cookies, chocolate pie, Grandma's Mashed potatoes, a plethora of champagne; the holidays can get a little overindulgent at times (though admittedly we love every second of it), but now that a new year is upon us, we're ready to reset our systems and go full throttle into a healthy routine.
From workouts that will torch those holiday pounds away to gear that will get you in the mood to hit the gym, there's plenty of ways to get pumped (pun intended) for a healthy 2015. The good old-fashioned Hollywood favorite known as the juice cleanse can be an effective way to jump-start your system.
So we tapped Eric Helms, founder of Juice Generation and author of The Juice Generation: 100 Recipes for Fresh Juices and Superfood Smoothies, for his tips on how to jump on board the juicing cleanse, whether you only feel inclined to commit to one meal, or are feeling vivacious enough one whole week. "When you feel weighed down or extra sluggish, try doing one day of a liquid morning and evening--a healthy smoothie in the morning and a juice in the evening, or vice versa," says Helms. "This quick "reset" lightens the load on your digestion and helps you sleep better, too." Read on for his tips:
1. Kick your happy green habit up a notch and get better acquainted with a broader array of nature's beauty, he says. The more intensely colored a fruit or vegetable is, the more chemically active antioxidants it usually contains. Go bright!
2. Start by juicing and blending things you already like to eat. You have to enjoy this to stick with it. When juicing several fruits, juice the softest ones first, followed by the harder ones--this helps to push all their pulp through and extract maximum liquid.
3. Fat is your friend. A dash of healthy, unprocessed fat added to a juice can help with the absorption of nutrients from vegetables and fruits, making your drink truly liquid gold.
4. Raw coconut water is rich in electrolytes, the electrically charged ions that help our cells communicate and that get depleted by hard exercise. It's also high in enzymes that help to detoxify and repair the body. Use the refreshing, energizing elixir from your coconuts to make blended drinks and discover how coconuts turn everyday ingredients into a sumptuous treat.
5. Ramp up your detox by adding a teaspoon of activated charcoal to your juice! You won’t notice the taste of the charcoal, but you will notice the potent effects once the toxins are washed out of your system giving way to improved digestion and skin.