What do Orange Is the New Black actors Laura Prepon (Alex Vause), Nick Sandow (Joe Caputo), and Lorraine Toussaint (Vee) all have in common—besides all starring in the same series and all having serious acting chops? A passion for food! Sandow makes a mean chicken parm, Toussaint has her own lifestyle blog called Everyday Lovely, and Prepon just released a new book called The Stash Plan: Your 21-Day Guide to Shed Weight, Feel Great, and Take Charge of Your Health ($16; amazon.com).
The book, which was co-written with Prepon’s friend and nutritionist Elizabeth Troy, teaches readers about planning, building, and enjoying delicious, health-conscious meals. “A Stash is, literally, a treasure trove of eating,” write Prepon and Troy. “Twice a week you will cook foods in bulk, and these foods will be the basis of your meal building for the next three days. Each week’s Stash is a macro- and micro-nutrient balanced meal that includes snacks—meaning no deprivation.” Try their recipe for gluten-free almond bread below, which they suggest eating with mashed avocado, salt, and pepper.
Gluten-Free Almond Bread
2 cups blanched almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour (if you can’t find this, use 1/4 cup additional almond flour instead)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 large eggs
1½ tbsp raw organic honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a small loaf pan.
2. In a food processor, combine flours, flaxseed, baking soda, and sea salt. Add wet ingredients. Pulse about 5 times to blend.
3. Pour batter into the greased pan. It should fill it about halfway.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, then cover with foil and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Cool bread for about 20 minutes, then remove from pan.
From THE STASH PLAN by Laura Prepon and Elizabeth Troy. Copyright © 2016 by Laura P. Enterprises Inc. and Emmett LLC. Reprinted by permission of Touchstone, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc. On sale 3/1/2016 wherever books are sold.