Recently I hit the slopes for the very first time- as a newbie with a slightly type A personality, I started creating a list for what I’d be packing. After checking out a local sports store, I knew I’d easily rack up hundreds on ski gear that I may potentially never use again. Instead, I turned to GetOutfitted where you can rent an entire outfit for a weekend (Think Rent the Runway, the Alps version). The day before I left for my trip, I was shipped a box containing everything from waterproof ski pants and a down jacket to liner gloves and goggles. After my trip, I was able to mail everything right back (which is also great since I don’t have a ton of storage space!)
I also knew proper skincare would be essential to battle the frigid weather. Here are my top 5 picks that saved my complexion, icy conditions and all:
1. Elta MD UV Clear- ($30; dermstore.com) The formula glides on easily and provides broad spectrum protection (and yes, you need sunscreen even in the cold). Although it’s a mineral formula, it leaves behind no chalky residue- even on my dark skin
2. Mineral Fusion SPF30 Brush On Sun Defense- ($20; ulta.com) This powder sunscreen comes with a portable brush applicator which makes reapplying a cinch.
3. SunBum SPF 30 lip balm- ($4; amazon.com) Gusty winds and cold weather usually equal chapped lips. This coconut-scented formula is super moisturizing and it also contains SPF.
4. Bobbi Brown Extra Moisture Balm-($63; bobbibrown.com) I reserved makeup for the apres-ski but just a dab of this cream on top of cheekbones adds a hint of sheen and extra moisture.
5. M. Steves Rose Hip Oil- ($64; msteves.com) At night, I layered a few drops of this lightweight oil to hydrate any rough patches and dry spots.