Kate Walsh Shares a Favorite (and Easy!) New Twist on a Beloved Thanksgiving Side Dish
Kate Walsh may be best known for her role as Dr. Addison Montgomery, the OBGYN and ex-wife of McDreamy, who—fans of Grey’s Anatomy assumed—was supposed to be loathed by the audience but wound up so well loved she got her own spinoff series with Private Practice.
But while Walsh has had a revealing week, one thing fans might not know about her is that there’s no place she’d rather be than in the kitchen. “I love cooking,” she recently told InStyle, “I’ve always loved having people over.”
The actress says she’ll be spending the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday at a friend’s ranch—“They’re doing a deep-friend turkey”—and she’s in charge of bringing a side. Walsh recently partnered with Boston Market to create recipes for easy sides for Turkey Day and beyond, and she shares one of her favorites below. “The holidays get so hectic,” she says. “They’re about sitting around a table and sharing a meal with friends and family, so the more you can do of that and the less time you spend in the kitchen the better.”
Sweet Potato Soup
- Premade mashed sweet potatoes (Walsh recommends picking up two large sides of Boston Market's Sweet Potato Casserole)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Caramelized sour apples and onions, for garnish
1. Heat a medium size soup pot to a medium heat.
2. Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
3. Add cream. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat and serve.
4. Garnish with caramelized sour apples and onions.