Julianne Moore Proves That Great Style Has No Age
With experience comes expertise, and Julianne Moore is one actress who definitely has both. The 54-year-old's head-to-toe Balenciaga look at the Hollywood Film Awards (above) is proof that great style has no age limit. Here's how to take a cue from Moore and own a look into your 50s and beyond:
1. Opt for sheer to stealthily show skin: Baring your arms can be tricky business no matter how many birthdays you've had, but Moore cleverly picked the win-win peekaboo solution. Not only does chiffon give the illusion of going sleeveless (with the smoothing equivalent of an Instagram filter), but it also lends sophistication to an edgy, youthful neckline.
2. Put a refined spin on matchy-matchy: Elaine Offers, who did Moore's makeup here, says the actress requested matching oxblood lips and nails to pop against her winter whites. "The richness and depth of the tone make it look elegant, not juvenile." Try L'Oréal Paris Extraordinaire Gel-Laque in Laque-Red ($8; drugstore.com) and Infallible Le rouge lipstick in Refined Ruby ($10; drugstore.com).
3. Choose formfitting, not skintight: Even if you've got a knockout body, wearing a bandage dress as snug as a sausage casing can seem try-hard. Moore went the more modest route, selecting a silhouette that, while straight, skims her curves just enough. The result? She looks statuesque and subtly sexy.
4. Get a glow with gems: Nothing brightens up your face quite like a pair of sparklers that reflect the light. Bonus: They're sure to make you smile—always a good look. We like Swarovski's crystal and rhodium-plated earrings ($79; swarovski.com).
5. Hit the sweet spot: Neither scary short nor dowdy long, Moore's hem hits right where her legs start to taper, highlighting delicate ankles and sharp, minimalist heels.