James Franco Will Attend the SAG Awards Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations
The actor's rep confirmed to CNN that he will be at the ceremony. The verification comes after public speculation about whether would attend or not due to the accusations made against him. A few weeks ago, Franco took home a Golden Globe for his role in The Disaster Artist while wearing a Time's Up pin, which inspired some to speak out about their alleged experiences with him.
Actor James Franco arrives to the 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 7, 2018.
Kevork Djansezian/NBC/Getty Images
"Cute #TIMESUP pin James Franco," actress Violet Paley tweeted. "Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?"
"I was sent a couple of the tweets. So yeah, I did read them. I haven't responded," he said.
Afterwards, five women accused Franco of "inappropriate or sexually exploitative behavior" in a Los Angeles Times piece. Franco's attorney Michael Plonsker disputed all of the allegations to the L.A. Times and directed the outlet to the actor's comments made on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
“Look, in my life I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I have done,” Franco said on the show. “I have to do that to maintain my well being. The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate. But I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long. So I don’t want to shut them down in any way.”
“If I have done something wrong. I will fix it—I have to," he added.
Franco is nominated for a SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role.