Bow Down: Selena Gomez Is the Official Queen of Instagram
Selena Gomez is officially the queen of Instagram. The popular social media platform released its 2016 Year in Review on Thursday and, according to the stats, Gomez's dominance is even more widespread than we could have ever imagined.
In addition to sweeping the most-liked photo AND video categories, with a whopping 103 million followers, the 24-year-old pop star is also Instagram's most-followed celebrity—by a long shot. Oh yeah, she gained the most followers (50 million) this year too.
VIDEO: Selena Gomez's Changing Looks
The rest of most-followed field features the usual cast of characters. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) took the second spot with 93.9 million followers, while Ariana Grande (@arianagrande) came in third with 90.2 million. Beyoncé (@beyonce) and Kim Kardashian West (@kimkardashian) were awarded fourth and fifth positions, with 89.2 million and 88.2 million followers respectively.
Eight of the top 10 most-liked celebrity photos belong to Gomez. Her iconic Coca Cola ad (above), which has garnered 5.9 million likes, was the winner, followed by a caption-less swimsuit photo from May that has raked in 4 million likes.
Gomez's video that received the most likes was the one of her dancing with a little fan named Audrey, who suffers from Diamond Blackfan Anemia.
The social media app's 2016 analysis is rich with plenty more interesting facts. Scroll down for more details and highlights:
Top hashtag: #love
Most-used Instagram Filters:
Celebrities who gained the most followers in 2016:
- Selena Gomez (@selenagomez) – Gained more than 50 million followers.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (@cristiano) – Gained more than 42 million followers.
- Ariana Grande (@arianagrande) – Gained more than 40 million followers.
- Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) – Gained more than 38 million followers.
- Beyoncé (@beyonce) – Gained more than 37 million followers.
- Kylie Jenner (@kyliejenner) – Gained more than 36 million followers.
- Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian) – Gained more than 36 million followers.
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (@therock) – Gained more than 35 million followers.
- Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj) – Gained more than 29 million followers.
- Lionel Messi (@leomessi) – Gained more than 29 million followers.
Most-liked celebrity videos of 2016:
1. Selena Gomez:
2. Selena Gomez:
3. Leo Messi:
4. Selena Gomez:
5. Selena Gomez:
6. Taylor Swift
7. Selena Gomez:
8. Selena Gomez:
9. Kim Kardashian West:
10. Selena Gomez: