Two hairstyles we’ll never grow tired of seeing on the red carpet? Romantic braids and old Hollywood waves. So the second we spotted Emily Blunt and Amy Adams at this year’s Golden Globes, we just had to reach out to their hairstylist, Laini Reeves, for the inside scoop. Best of all, Reeves created both looks using products exclusively from Birchbox, our go-to site for discovering the hottest new beauty buys.
Want to try your hand at one of these hairstyles from home? Read on for step-by-step instructions, behind-the-scenes shots of the final looks, and all the products you’ll need!
RELATED: Golden Globes Red Carpet Hair Trend: Side-Swept Glamour WavesHow to Get Emily Blunt’s Romantic Braided Updo:
1. Starting with damp hair, apply Malin+Goetz Sage Styling Crème ($20; birchbox.com).
2. Use a tail comb to make a center part before blow drying.
3. Once dry, apply Serge Normant’s Dream Big Volume Spray ($25; birchbox.com). Then, blow dry again to create tousled texture (this will help hold the braid).
4. Create a Dutch braid (or an inside out French braid) and braid to the nape of the neck. Secure with a clear hair tie and repeat on the other side.
5. Cross the braids over at the nape of the neck to create a bun.
6. Secure with bobby pins and spritz a final veil of hairspray for added staying power.
How to Get Amy Adams’s Bombshell Waves:
1. Apply Oribe’s Volumista ($39; birchbox.com) on damp hair from roots to ends, using a tail comb to make a low side part.
2. Blow-dry the hair with a soft bristle brush, keeping the ends smooth. Then, brush the parted side of the hair behind the ear and hold with a couple of pin-curl clips.
3. Using a 2-inch curling iron and 4-inch rollers, curl 2-inch sections diagonally from the part to the ear, replacing the iron with the roller. Pin to hold. Do this four times on top of the head back to the crown.
4. Starting from the right side, curl 2-inch sections into pin curls, working around the head to the left. Do this until you have curled all of the hair.
5. Spray Oribe’s Shine Light Perfecting Spray ($39; birchbox.com), letting it sit for about 20 minutes.
6. Once the hair has cooled, remove all of pins and rollers, keeping pins in the hair behind the ear to hold it in place while brushing out.
7. Using the soft bristle brush, start brushing out the wave; the more you brush, the more relaxed the wave will become.
8. When you have your desired wave, spritz with hairspray to hold in place.