5 Things That Went Down at the Independent Spirit Awards
On the eve of Oscars Sunday, stars like Ruth Negga, Kerry Washington, and Kirsten Dunst flocked to Santa Monica, California for the far more low-key Independent Spirit Awards, which were held, appropriately, in a tent on the beach.
While the awards show is more laidback than the Academy Awards, there was still no shortage of style statements on the signature blue carpet, or of memorable moments inside the show.
Take a peek at the top 5 things to know about the Independent Spirit Awards.
1. Ruth Negga went big with her fashion:
The Loving star has consistently wowed us with her red carpet stylings. Last night, she hit the blue carpet in a strapless Delpozo dress that was complete with a black bodice with big structured shoulders and a multicolored, floral-embellished skirt. She accented the ensemble with Delpozo and Fred Leighton X Gemfields earrings. As for her favorite part about the look, Negga told InStyle, “everything.” What do you think?
2. Janelle Monáe loves a graphic style moment:
Negga wasn’t alone in her statement-making style moment at the show. Janelle Monáe nailed her black and white fashion tradition again in a striped black and white Salvatore Ferragamo jacket, paired with a printed, strapless Ferragamo dress, Piaget jewels, and embellished Christian Louboutin Tudor Bal stilettos. Freida Pinto wore a very naked yellow Uel Camilo dress with sheer panels, and Naomie Harris kept it conservative in a tweed Chanel dress, black pumps, and Piaget jewels. Meanwhile, Kerry Washington, who attended the event with her husband Nnamdi Asomugha, kept it simple and chic in a black Prada dress with floral embellishments, and threw her hair in a high ponytail.
3. This is what stars do before the show:
Before heading inside, celebs posed for photos inside of the luxe Pierre Jouet photo booth, which was covered in pink and white roses and had a table topped with bottles of champagne at the center. There were also pop-ups backstage, including trendy L.A. Italian spot Jon & Vinny's and a Breyers Gelato Indulgences gelateria where guests could grab quick bites. Servers wafted around carrying trays of mini bottles of FIJI water topped with portable straws to prevent any lipstick smearing—an awards show essential.
4. It’s beyond chill over there: Who needs a floral centerpiece when there’s a bowlful of champagne on the table? And as the show kicked off, guests casually noshed on Tuscan lemon chicken and antipasto skewers, among other tasty morsels and sipped Landmark Vineyards wine. When commercial breaks hit, Matt Damon and friends mixed and mingled, with the Martian star sharing a laugh with Miles Teller, Ben Foster grabbing a selfie with Craig Robinson, and Naomie Harris bobbing her head in her seat as Gary Clark Jr. and a band provided the musical entertainment.
VIDEO: Kerry Washington Reveals Her Favorite Red Carpet Gowns
5. Moonlight won almost everything...and Molly Shannon gave us total Superstar nostalgia:
Shannon made the audience erupt in laughter when she went full Superstar mode after she won best supporting female. “I’ve never had anything like this in my life and I feel so grateful,” she told the audience as she stepped on stage. “I really truly feel in this moment like a...superstar!,” she exclaimed, all while jumping up, landing in a lunge, throwing her hands up in the Mary Katherine Gallagher pose and dancing around the stage.
In addition to Shannon’s win, Moonlight swept the show, nabbing best feature, best director, best screenplay, best cinematography, best editing, and the Robert Altman Award.