5 Awesome Highlights from the 2016 Guys Choice Awards
Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts and more headed to Sony Pictures Studios Saturday evening in their red carpet best to pick up their antler trophies at the entertainment-packed Guys Choice Awards. As they celebrated all things guy in black tie attire, InStyle was on-hand to take in the comedic show,
Check out the five things to know about the Guys Choice Awards before the show airs next week!
1. There were real tigers at the show - and plenty of entertainment: “Holy sh*t, there’s a real tiger,” Robin Thicke said after taking the stage in a black three-piece suit to open the show. As he performed Michael Jackson’s “Rock With You” and Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” with the “Black Daddy” band, there were indeed two huge tigers circling behind a glass wall to his side. One seemed to enjoy Thicke’s performance so much that it licked the glass during it. The live animals were just one part of the stunning, colorful set. A group of about a dozen glitzy-costumed dancers performed throughout the evening as well, even hopping into the on-stage roulette wheel at one point and kicking up their heels to the music. (Later, Thicke accompanied "Our New Girlfriend" winner Gigi Hadid—who's newly single at that—on the stage.)
June 4th: Gigi Hadid attends Spike TV’s ‘Guys Choice 2016’ at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. #gigihadid @gigihadid #spike #guyschoiceawards #california #model #awards #fashion #fashionstyle #queen #gorgeous #Goddess #beautiful #beauty #cute #hot #damngigi #hadid #amazing #stunning #outfit
2. Olivia Munn hasn’t forgotten her ‘Attack of the Show’ Roots: Munn may be starring in big budget films like The X-Men Apocalypse, but she made sure to pay tribute to her “first job,” as host of G4’s Attack of the Show when she accepted her award for the Jean Claude Gahd Dam Award. “It was a few years ago now, but this all started because of my job on G4, Attack of the Show, and so I just have to say that it’s because of those guys on Attack of the Show, my cohost and all the fans there that I have anything I have today. So, thank you very much,” Munn said after hitting the stage looking stunning in a sheer, black lace minidress and black pumps.
3. Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney are still best friends...and so are Matt Damon and Ben Affleck: As Mulroney presented the Woman of the Decade Award to Roberts, he mentioned that they became best friends while filming the 1997 rom-com My Best Friend’s Wedding, and have “been best friends ever since.” InStyle’s June covergirl was glowing as she took the stage in an off-the-shoulder black onesie and black heels, flashed her famous smile at Mulroney and gave him a hug. She told the crowd that she and Mulroney had been “texting about so many things,” and gave a sweet shout-out to her husband Danny Moder. “I appreciate being named Woman of the Decade,” she said. “Ten good years, and in one month, I think, from today, I will have been married for 14 years. So I think Danny Moder has led me into this decade, so I thank him.”
Damon and Affleck took the stage later in the night after Robert DeNiro presented them with their Guys of the Decade Award. “I think it goes without saying that this is an award Matt and I have been dreaming about since we were little boys,” Affleck joked as they stood side by side holding their antler trophies. They couldn’t help but take a jab at their friends George Clooney and Brad Pitt while they were up there, with Damon adding, “We will cherish this...and we want to recognize some of the other nominees. Some of the dudes who weren’t quite as decade worthy. George Clooney and Brad Pitt.” They went on to name several others including “Justin Bieber and Jaden Smith.”
4. Andra Day and John Legend Gave a Touching Tribute to Muhammad Ali: Following Ali’s death Friday night, the duo performed Whitney Houston’s “The Greatest Love of All,” with Legend playing the piano as they both sang. While they performed, a video montage of the famed boxer and humanitarian played above them. It was so moving that the room was silent after the performance. MMA fighter Tito Ortiz, who told InStyle Ali’s death was “a loss to the world,” stood during the entire performance.
5. Servicemen and servicewomen were given the ultimate respect at the show: There were dozens of servicemen and servicewomen on hand in the audience, and stars like Julia Roberts, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck all made sure to thank them in their acceptance speeches. During commercial breaks, Roberts, Damon, Affleck and more posed for as many photos as they possibly could with those who approached them. There was a long line at one point for photos with Roberts, and she smiled and chatted with each serviceperson who approached her.
Don’t forget to tune in when the show airs Thursday, June 9 at 9/8c on Spike.