It’s that time! We’re well past spring and the countdown to bikini season is over—it's here! But don't stress: Follow these simple tips to get you ready to hit the beach with renewed confidence from Kelly Boyer of Paleta, a farm-to-table meal service who is responsible for feeding some of the hottest bodies in Hollywood, including Jaime King. Just a few small swaps with your diet this summer will leave you feeling confident and ready to rock that bikini.
1. Smaller Plate, Smaller YouGet into the habit of using a smaller plate for every meal; studies have shown that it really does help you eat less. You’ll automatically reduce your portions and if you enjoy every bite slowly and deliberately, you’ll be surprisingly full in no time.
2. Drink UpYou’re probably sick of hearing it, but it’s true: Drinking water will keep you (and your sun-kissed skin) hydrated, help flush toxins from your body, and will help keep hunger at bay. At least eight glasses a day … and always a full glass before every meal. Really!
3. Spice It UpGive yourself a blast of flavor by adding spicy herbs, seasonings, and peppers to your food. You’ll also be giving your metabolism a boost.
4. Go GreenThere’s no denying it. Dark leafy greens like kale, arugula and spinach are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and water so they reduce hunger pains. You can enjoy them raw or cooked and the best thing about them: You can pretty much eat as much as you want. Start munching!
5. Fill Up with FiberWhole grains, beans, and lentils are great for tricking your stomach into thinking you’re full. Just stay away from the white stuff. No bleached flour products for you!
6. Bye! Bye! BloatStay away from foods and beverages that contain a lot of sodium like fast-food, salty snacks and carbonated beverages. Go with foods that actually help reduce that belly bloat. Try a little pineapple and yogurt as a snack. The probiotics in the yogurt can help you de-bloat and pineapple aids in digestion. Coconut water is also a great beverage to enjoy in place of that diet soda and will offset bloating.
7. Sip Yourself ThinTry a day or more of Paleta Pressed organic cold-pressed juice detox or juice out of your own kitchen for a day. Make sure to combine your fruit with a load of vegetables to keep the sugar content low. I like to juice every Monday during the summer months to keep me nourished, hydrated and leaner!
8. Sneak a SnackKeep your metabolism working for you by eating small bites of healthy snacks throughout the day. I keep a bag of sweet and savory flavored almonds in my handbag at all times and nibble 10 at a time to keep me feeling full and energized. They will satisfy your hunger for hours, as well as your cravings for something sweet or salty.
9. Be FreeConsider giving up gluten and/or dairy for a week to see how your body looks and feels without it. You may not be celiac or have aggressive lactose intolerance, but many people find they just feel better without these two food types. Eliminating them altogether may prove to be just what your bikini ordered.
10. Break a SweatEven if you’re not a die-hard boot-camper or pilates devotee, make sure to get your body moving for at least 20 minutes a day. If you make this a regular part of your routine, you’ll be calmer, leaner and better able to take on those waves.