Welcome back to the circus, Chrissy Teigen!
Following a ruling by a federal judge in Manhattan on Wednesday, it looks like Teigen will once again be able to bear witness the spectacle that is President Donald Trump (aka @realDonaldTrump)’s Twitter feed after she had previously been blocked for critical commentary.
Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald ruled that Trump is violating citizens’ First Amendment rights when he blocks users on Twitter, as his account is considered an official government account. "The President and [White House Social Media director Dan Scavino] exert governmental control over certain aspects of the @realDonaldTrump account, including the interactive space of the tweets sent from the account," said Buchwald of her decision.
Buchwald called Trump’s social media feed a "designated public forum,” and as such Trump cannot exclude people from viewing or engaging with it—which is what happens when users are blocked. Talk about a 2018 conundrum.
According to the CNBC, the Justice Department is not on board with the decision. "We respectfully disagree with the court's decision and are considering our next steps," they said in a statement; the Justice Department has 60 days to appeal the ruling.
The case was brought by seven blocked Twitter users in conjunction with the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University.
In addition to Teigen, scores of other blocked journalists and celebrities—including Rosie O’Donnell and Stephen King—will also be impacted by the ruling.
If this means more Twitter showdowns, we can't wait. Where's the popcorn?