Confessions of an Oscars Makeup Artist: 5 Top Backstage Moments from the 2016 Awards
There was plenty of buzz onstage at the Oscars on Sunday night, from Chris Rock's #OscarsSoWhite quips to Leonardo DiCaprio's acceptance speech and call for action for climate change. But there was also plenty going on behind the scenes backstage before our favorite celebrities hit the red carpet, so we chatted with head makeup artist for the Academy Awards, Bruce Grayson, to get the scoop. "It was super hot and humid backstage and in the greenroom, so there was plenty of blotting paper action," said Grayson. He spilled on his five favorite moments from the night.
1. I have known Sarah Silverman forever and we're buddies, so seeing her was great. I helped touch up Sarah with one of Kylie Jenner's lip glosses. it was the first time I used them (Sarah had it in her clutch) and I think the color looked fantastic.
2. Charlize [Theron] came in and touched herself up with some blotting powders; she looked perfect. In that environment, it's hard to keep people done. It's so humid backstage and so it's easy to get shiny, but she looked flawless.
VIDEO: Could You Afford to Go to the Oscars?
3. Kate Winslet and Reese Witherspoon were chatting before heading on stage and they were talking about their kids. They may be renowned actresses in fancy gowns, but they're also moms and just lovely normal people.
4. Vice Presiden Joe Biden and the Secret Service also made an appearance before Lady Gaga's performance. He came back and said hello to Lady Gaga and Kerry Washington. it's very cool to see those interactions where Hollywood meets politics.
5. We had to get 13 dancers ready for The Weeknd's performance. They wore these beautiful Dior coats and these delicate masks. We painted the back with adhesive so it would stay put. The most nerve-racking thing is that something goes astray on live TV. Sometimes, you just never know whats going to happen and the pressure is enormous—this show is seen around the world!