These Chocolate Drizzle Coconut Macaroons Are the Perfect Springtime Dessert
While it’s not exactly ice cream weather yet, these unusually balmy March days have us craving something light and sweet. This spring, consider whipping up a batch of chocolate drizzle coconut macaroons from Good + Simple ($23; available for pre-order on amazon.com), the newest cookbook from white-hot food blogging duo Hemsley + Hemsley. The London-based sisters declare these “perfect for tea parties, petits fours after dinner, or a light dessert.” Plus, you can bake them in advance, making Easter or Passover party planning a breeze: “Re-crisp in the oven just before serving and drizzle over the melted chocolate to serve,” the Hemsley’s advise. Try the recipe below!
Chocolate Drizzle Coconut Macaroons
Makes 18 macaroons
4 tbsp maple syrup
1½ tsp vanilla extract
5 oz desiccated coconut
3 egg whites
A tiny pinch of sea salt
2 oz dark (85% cocoa solids) chocolate, broken into squares
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the maple syrup, vanilla extract, and desiccated coconut; set aside.
3. In a squeaky-clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture with a metal spoon to form a loose mixture.
4. Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, making 18 mounds, spaced at least 1 inch apart. Every now and then stir the mixture gently between scoops, to prevent it from separating. Use your fingers or two teaspoons to carefully neaten the little mounds on the baking sheet.
5. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until the macaroons are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet.
6. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water (the water shouldn’t touch the base of the bowl). Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of each cooked macaroon using a spoon and allow to set. Store in an airtight tin somewhere cool or in the fridge.