This Adorable New Cookbook Is All About Toast
Toast is hot—literally and figuratively—and if you're not already a gourmet tartine devotee, then Jill Donenfeld's newly released book, Better on Toast, may persuade you. Just to be clear, we're talking about the good stuff: Artful concoctions of artisanal breads topped with well-considered ingredients that span from the simplest combination of pantry staples to more complex arrangements.
Either way, one should never underestimate the power of an expertly curated open-faced sandwich, and Donenfeld's fourth book features a healthy mix of approachable, on-trend recipes (yes, avocado is well represented) and some that are slightly more experimental, like the Spice Roasted Radishes and Mint Feta Yogurt recipe, which follows below. Although slightly involved, there are a few major pluses to making this flavorful treat: Not only does it indulge your total love for roasted radishes, as a dinner-party staple it's relatively easy and sophisticated. Even if you wanted to skip the toast, each of the main elements works well independently too: Serve the roasted veggies as a yummy side or the spread as a tasty dip for crudités.
Spice Roasted Radishes and Mint Feta Yogurt
Makes: 6 toasts
Ingredients2 tbsp pine nuts¼ tsp ground cinnamon½ tsp ground cumin½ tsp ground coriander1 tsp salt½ tsp freshly ground pepper3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzlingBunch of radishes (8-10)1/3 cup feta, preferably sheep's milk½ cup plain yogurt10 mint leaves, roughly chopped½ tsp red chili pepper flakes1 tsp honey1 tbsp lemon zest1 tbsp lemon juice6 half-inch-thick slices whole wheat bread, oven-toasted with oil
Directions1. Preheat oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small dry pan over medium-high heat, toast the pint nuts, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a dish to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ½ teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and 3 tablespoons oil.
4. Wash, stem, dry, and quarter the radishes. Toss them in the spice oil to coat.
5. Spread the radishes evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes, until soft.
6. Meanwhile, blend the feta, yogurt, mint, chili flakes, honey, lemon zest, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
7. Assemble the toasts by drizzling them with the minty yogurt, topping them with the radishes, and sprinkling on the lemon juice and toasted pine nuts.
From Better on Toast by Jill Donenfeld. Copyright 2015 by Jill A. Donenfeld. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.