7 Tidbits We Couldn't Fit Into Our March Story on Nicole Kidman (Plus, Preview Extra Cover Photos!)
Hanging with our March cover star in Nashville, writer Simon Dumenco learned a lot about Nicole Kidman. One tibit? The Aussie was actually born in Hawaii -- and has a traditional Hawaiian name, too: Hokulani, which means heavenly star. We loved her already, but that kinda warms our hearts even more. (Also, we want a Hawaiian name! Not surprisingly, there's a name generator for that.)
Turns out, there's a whole bunch more we love about Kidman (up next in the film Grace of Monaco as princess and actress Grace Kelly) that we just couldn't fit into our pages. So herewith, details on romantic dates with husband of seven years Keith Urban, that time she wasn't into fashion (hard to believe but true!), and other things we never knew about the 46-year-old star.
Want more? To read the full interview with the Oscar winner, pick up the March issue of InStyle, available on newsstands and for digital download now.
1. On her ideal date with Keith: "Actually, the perfect date would be in the morning. We'd go for a swim in the ocean, because we both love to swim, and then follow that with a massive breakfast with coffee and Turkish toast and croissants. There we go. Awesome."
2. On her favorite workout: "I love to spin. I like going to the classes instead of doing it at home. I love it because of the music and it's dark —like a club!— and it's only 45 minutes. You're in and then out and done."
3. On high-wattage play dates: "Naomi [Watts] and I hang out with our kids. She has two boys and I have two girls and they are around the same age. They love to do shows, put on musicals for us. They'll get all dressed up and sing and mime."
4. On elegant pajamas: "I always wear white pajamas by Frette. I love pajamas. I'll put them on sometimes when I get home. I really like plain white, crisp and white, but sometimes also the ones with a lit bit of blue piping."
5. On chilling out: "I like to meditate, Transcendental Meditation usually. I took it up in my early 20s and I learned the benefits. I try to do it every day. A typical session is 20 to 30 minutes. I even use a meditation app on my phone that has a timer and also shows you on a map all the people that have logged in that are meditating at that very moment."
6. On the tome yet to be written: "One of these days I'll write something. I just have to discipline myself. I already have a story I want to write. It's a very personal story that I've already written in my head. I know how it should play out, but it's kind of heavy so I have to commit to doing it. Once I commit to it though I'll do it in a week."
7. On taking a fashion breather: "I went through a period where I didn't care at all about fashion after I had my kids. But I've come back again to really enjoying it artistically. I've simplified my look which is probably part of getting older -- you tend to simplify. If someone says they like something, I'll give it away."
To read the full interview with Kidman, pick up the March issue of InStyle, available on newsstands and for digital download now.http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2014/WRN/021314-march-issue-digit..."]