Surprise! After weeks of rumors, Beyonce released a full "visual" album of 14 brand new songs with 17 accompanying music videos for the self-titled album, Beyonce. News broke in true Beyonce-style through her personal social media outlets—including Instagram with a teaser video captioned, "Surprise!," her website, and Facebook where she spoke candidly about her new album. "I see music, it's more than just I what hear," she said. "When I'm connected to something I immediately see a visual, a series of images that are tied to a feeling or an emotion, a memory from my childhood, thoughts about life, my dreams, or my fantasies, and they are all connected to the music. And I think it's one of the reasons why I wanted to do a visual album. I wanted people to hear the songs with the story that's in my head, because its what makes it mine. That visual in my brain is what i wanted people to experience for the fist time." If anyone could pull this off, it's the Queen herself! In honor of her new music album now on iTunes and available for individual purchase on December 20th, we picked our 6 favorite facts about the album Beyonce.
1. The Jaw-Dropping Visuals Each of the 14 new songs features an accompanying full music video, even the credits have a video! "I told my team I want to shoot a video for every song and put them all out at the same time, everyone thought I was crazy," Beyonce laughed. "It was important that we made this a movie, that we made this an experience," she added.
2. Blue Ivy's Guest Appearance Not only is there a song dedicated to Beyonce's daughter entitled, "Blue," but the 23-month-old is featured in the song and also makes an appearance in the video.
3. The A-List Collaborations Beyonce features a list of A-list musical collaborators including Jay Z, Drake, Frank Ocean, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland, Michelle Williams, Kelly Rowland, Justin Timberlake, and more.
4. Location, Location, LocationEach of the videos Beyonce filmed were shot on location amid an international backdrop of New York City, Paris, Sydney, and Rio de Janeiro.
5. The Secrecy. Oh, the Secrecy. Beyonce, who is known to keep her personal life private, managed to keep her fifth album a secret (save for a few leaks!) and pulled off one of the the biggest musical surprises in history, breaking the traditional market strategies. "Now people only listen to a few seconds of a song on their iPods, they don't really invest in a whole album. It's all about the single and the hype, it's so much that gets between the music, the artist, and the fans. I felt like, 'I don't want anybody to give the message when my record is coming out.' I just want this to come out when it's ready and from me to my fans," Beyonce said.
6. Celebrity's Reactions Just hours after Beyonce hit iTunes, celebrity fans from Katy Perry, Snoop, her sister Solange, and Abigail Breslin expressed their admiration for the pop star's musical feat on Twitter. "I wanted everyone to see the whole the picture and to see how personal everything is to me," Beyonce said. "I will make my best art and just put it out, and that's why it is out today." And there you have it!