5 Ways to Combat Red, Watery Eyes This Allergy Season
‘Tis the season … for itchy, watery, bloodshot eyes, that is. If seasonal allergies are wrecking your beauty game, fret not. We have you covered with five easy ways to combat annoying things like swelling, redness, and runny mascara.
1. Relieve Redness with Drops Once the pollen vortex hits, eye drops are a must. To keep redness and itching at bay, keep Visine’s Multi-Action Eye Allergy Relief ($7; drugstore.com) on hand throughout the day.
2. Smooth Out Puffiness Look for a cream or serum that cools on contact. We recommend Clinique’s De-Puffing Eye Massage ($29; sephora.com), which has a rollerball applicator to instantly soothe and hydrate the delicate under eye area. It works to reduce the appearance of dark circles, too.
3. Waterproof Your Lashes When the tears start flowing, a trusty, waterproof mascara will save you from those dreaded raccoon eyes. A formula like Bobbi Brown’s No Smudge Mascara ($26; nordstrom.com) will add a touch of drama without flaking, smearing, or running down your face.
4. Use Hypoallergenic Products Certain ingredients in makeup products can irritate sensitive eyes even further. The good news is brands like Almay, Neutrogena, and Clinique carry all kinds of eyeshadows, eyeliners, and mascaras that are 100 percent hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, so they won't trigger symptoms.
5. Switch Up Your Eyeliner A navy blue like Bare Minerals’ Lasting Line Long-Wearing Eyeliner in Nonstop Navy ($16; sephora.com) isn't as harsh as your basic black and will make the whites in eyes appear brighter. You can also rim the waterline with a flesh tone for a similar effect. Try Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes Inner Rim Liner ($19; sephora.com).