5 Fun Facts About The Divergent Series: Insurgent’s Rosa Salazar
Dauntless is known for being badass, so it’s no surprise that Rosa Salazar made the cut for a role in The Divergent Series: Insurgent. We know, because the Parenthood alum stopped by our office in high-waisted jeans and a crop top and said, “Let’s do this.” She also dished on what it was like to work alongside Divergent star Shailene Woodley, and how she's got a lot on her plate. She’s been cast as the kick-ass lead in Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. Salazar also has a humorous side, starring alongside The Mindy Project’s Adam Pally in two upcoming films: Search Party and Night Owls. But even when the stars seem to align for Salazar, she always keeps it real. “I’m not an intensely mystical person,” she told InStyle. “I don’t do numerology. I’m a Cancer, but that’s as far as I go.” Read on to find out five things we learned about the actress and her tough-girl roles.
1. Notorious healthy eater Shailene Woodley treated the cast to healthy snacks on the set of Insurgent.“She would bring juice for us, like a celery-apple-carrot,” she said. “Or she’d pick one out specifically for you and be like, ‘I got you the grapefruit one!’ It was really sweet and touching.”
2. She had a mohawk for Insurgent that helped her get into character—and also made her feel badass.“They wanted to shave my head all over, but I was like, ‘Let’s just shave half and see how it looks,’” she said. “It wasn’t really tough enough, so then we shaved the other half and dyed my Mohawk tail from black to white. I woke up and looked in the mirror every day like, ‘Holy s***, I look like that. I’m her.’”
3. She had to learn how to hold a gun for her role in Insurgent.“I had to do a lot of weapons training, which can be really hard,” she said. “The movie is a precursor to a larger battle; it’s very cerebral. I’m actually doing more stunts for Maze Runner than I did for Insurgent.”
4. She wishes Adam Pally could always be her main man onscreen.“He’s like my work husband and he’s so funny,” she said. “We’re about do another movie by the same director and writer of Night Owls. We love working with each other, and that’s all you really want to do, right? Be around the Adam Pallys of the world.”
5. She’s a tomboy at heart—and her no-fuss wardrobe reflects that.“I like very minimal stuff,” she said. “I’m a tomboy at heart—and in body! I wear American Apparel jeans every day of my life.”