10 Ways to Pull Off a Cape
When it comes to outerwear, nothing brings more drama than a cape (though its younger, more laid-back cousin, the poncho, comes close). And while the style set makes them look like a cinch to pull off, we all know there's a serious risk of Count Dracula vibes involved. To that end, we've rounded up photos of 10 women nailing the look to inspire you to try one for yourself.
1. Wearing one color head to toe (especially winter white) always looks chic.
2. Longer, flowy styles make the perfect counterpoint to mini skirts and tall boots.
3. A cape suit—genius!
4. Go casual, like a simple top and white jeans, to offset the eccentricity of a black floor-length number.
5. Worried about losing your waist? Just throw on a belt wide enough to stand up to all the volume.
6. Yes, this is technically a poncho, but it's no less sweeping with its Southwestern motif. Pair it with cropped leather pants and pointy-toe flats to keep it modern.
7. Shoulder bags will slip off, so clutch ’em by the straps instead (a move seen on the spring runways, by the way).
8. A graphic logo becomes the focus when styled with all black.
9. Go monochrome with denim for a relaxed yet pulled-together outfit.
10. Yes, capes can actually look sexy—just finish off the outfit with over-the-knee suede boots.