You Can Do: Perfect Flatiron
The Basic Tips:
• Start with damp hair and prep with a product suited to your hair type. If your hair is fine, choose a mousse. If your hair is unruly, use a de-frizz gel.
• Separate into sections to make the process more manageable.
• Grasp hair very close to the roots with a brush to release any kinks. Smooth through.
• Blow dry with a round brush, pulling through tightly to create tension.
• Spray with a thermal heat protection spray, then glide flatiron over small sections. Finish by combing pieces through for body.
The Basic Products:
• A great gel or cream that addresses your specific hair concerns. Our favorite is the Bumble and Bumble Straight Blow Dry ($28; bumbleandbumble.com), a heat-activated cream that leaves even the thickest hair soft and manageable.
• A flat iron like the CHI Classic Ceramic flat iron ($100; target.com), which has tourmaline plates and won't scorch the hair shaft.