Happy National Pancake Day! Celebrate with These Gluten-Free Lemon, Poppyseed, & Quinoa Pancakes
Please pass the syrup, it's National Pancakes Day!
Today, we're celebrating the holiday devoted to fluffy flapjacks by grilling up these incredible lemon, poppyseed, and quinoa wonders.
Fragrant with fresh lemon zest, these delicate yet satisfying pancakes won't send you into a brunch coma. Chef Stéphane Beaucamp of the stylish Lake Austin Spa Resort in Austin, Texas, makes them with quinoa—"the closest thing you can get to a perfect food, full of fiber and a complete protein," she says—along with crunchy poppy seeds for texture.
More to love: They're gluten-free, and the batter can be made up to three days ahead and chilled in the fridge.
Want more brunch recipes? See our gallery of our favorite recipes from top chefs, guaranteed to impress your guests.
Serves: 6 Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 cups quinoa flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp poppy seeds
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp agave
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 8 large eggs
- 4 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp grape-seed oil
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Maple syrup for serving
- Mixed berries for serving
1. Mix all dry ingredients.
2. Mix all wet ingredients.
3. Combine dry and wet ingredients until just mixed.
4. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium; brush griddle with vegetable oil.
5. Spoon on batter to form 3" pancakes. Cook until golden.
6. Serve with syrup and berries.