The 15 Best Texturizing Sprays That Work on All Hair Types
When it comes to getting that just-left-the-salon, tousled, volumized hair you frequently see on models and celebrities, there is one secret product that's almost always found behind the scenes: texturizing spray. But in an endless sea of volumizing products, how do you pick the right one? It comes down to a variety of factors including your hair type, level of thickness, budget, and the results you are trying to achieve.
What are hair texturizers?
Marissa Marino, L.A.-based celebrity hairstylist who styles hair for the likes of Selena Gomez and Hilary Duff, told InStyle, "Hair texturizers are this awesome invention that everyone seems to be obsessed with that creates instant volume in your hair once it's dry. They just take your style up a notch."
"They can help absorb oil if you want that," Marino continued. "They can also help prolong your style a bit because by the second [or] third day, your hair starts to lose volume, it's a little more limp, or it's lost its fresh-lookingness. So it can help [to] definitely refresh your look."
Aside from sprays, there are also different kinds of hair texturizers including pomades, powders, and gels, which have various uses, depending on your hair type. "Your best choice will depend on your hair type," celebrity hairstylist and owner of Paul Labrecque Salon & Spa Paul Labrecque said. "Those with coarser hair can use and benefit from a heavier texture, like those that are pomades. Fine-hair types will see the best results from spray-on powders."
When do you use them?
Texturizing sprays can be used when you have clean hair and you want to add more volume to your look, or they can be used two or three days after washing to keep your hair looking fresh. However, this can affect the point in your routine at which you'll use it and where you'll spray the texturizer in your hair.
On day-three hair, Marino starts by using a dry shampoo foam — her favorite is the Waterless Dry Shampoo Foam — and then blow dries it to freshen it up. "Then say you're starting with wet hair, you'll want to blow dry it first," Marino said. "Sometimes I'll add in a texturizer before I curl it, sometimes after, sometimes both. With clean fresh hair, you want to do it once it's dry either before or after you curl both times. I really like it, too, at the end, just because with a curling iron you can start dragging it down again."
How do you use them?
When using oil-absorbing texturizing sprays, you'll want to start spraying at your roots and then bring it down to your ends. "I like to lift and spray upwards so it also creates that lift," Marino said. "There's pomade texturizers that are specifically for the ends. You can take and rub between your fingers and you're getting more volume on the ends, it just depends on what you're looking for."
Remember that when it comes to texturizing sprays, a little goes a long way. "Overusing these products will make hair look dull to the eye," Labrecque said. "Keep in mind when you're reducing hair oils there will be less overall shine."
Below we've gathered up the 14 best texturizing sprays on the market so that you can find the one that will give you the hair of your dreams.
- Best Overall: Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray
- Best for All Hair Types: Shu Uemura Wata Wave Dry Texturizing Spray
- Best Matte Finish Option: Amika Un.done Volume & Texture Spray
- Best for Hair Health: Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Perfect Texture Spray
- Best Multitasking Option: Moroccanoil Dry Texture Spray
- Best for Fine Hair: R+Co Balloon Dry Volume Spray
- Best Dryspun Spray: Bumble and Bumble Thickening Dryspun Texture Hair Spray
- Best for Blowouts: Drybar Triple Sec 3-in-1 Finishing Spray
- Best for UV Protection: Verb Sea Texture Spray
- Best for Curls: Ouidad Going Up! Volumizing Texture Spray
- Best-Smelling Option: Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray
- Best for Extra Volume: Kenra Volumizing Spray Clay 15
- Best Drugstore Option: Kristin Ess Dry Finish Working Texture Spray
- Best Beach Wave Option: Philip B Maui Wowie Volumizing and Thickening Beach Mist
- Best Foam Option: Waterless Dry Shampoo Foam