Play with Proportions: The Best Skirt Length–Boot Height Pairings for You to Try
We've already mastered fall's unofficial uniform with some insanely chic sweater-and-skirt combos ( 23 of them, in fact), but every great look mandates equally great footwear. And to find the best possible pairing, we took style cues from Hollywood's chicest and chronicled every kind of boot, from over-the-knee to ankle-high, that work best with varying hem lengths.
Taylor Swift’s gingham print Oscar de la Renta number may seem demure, thanks to its below-the-knee hemline, but the musician took matters into her own hands and stepped into a pair of sleek Oxford booties. The shape and the skinny heel elongated (rather than shortened) her stems, creating the illusion of enviably long, lean legs.
From shin-grazing frocks to mini thigh-baring shift dresses, find out which complementary star-approved boots go hand-in-hand.
Below-the-Knee Pencil + Oxford Booties
- Get Taylor Swift's enviable long legs, even in a demure below-the-knee pencil skirt, by stepping into sleek Oxford booties-the shape and heel elongate (rather than shorten) your stems. Shop the look-alike pieces below:
- Top: Mango, $40; mango.com
- Skirt: Zara, $60; zara.com
- Booties: Burberry London, $850; mytheresa.com
Floral Dress + Over-the-Knee Boots
Knee-Grazing Pleats + Peep-Toe Booties
Tea-Length Column + Center-Slit Bootie
- Shin-grazing hems are one of this season's hottest silhouettes. Create the illusion of more leg with a sexy split-front bootie, like Lizzy Caplan's. Shop look-alike pieces below:
- Top: Jonathan Simkhai, $445; net-a-porter.com
- Skirt: Sandro, $315; sandro-paris.com
- Bootie: Vince Camuto, $325; vincecamuto.com
Striped Shift + Thigh-High Boots
- Invite a sliver (just a sliver!) of skin with a mini shift dress and thigh-high suede boots for a casual off-duty look, a la Diane Kruger. Still too revealing for your taste? Shrug on a long overcoat to top it off. Shop look-alike pieces below:
- Dress: Cos, $69; cosstores.com
- Boots: Sigerson Morrison, $795; sigersonmorrison.com