The Indoor-Outdoor Shoe Is the Next Big Footwear Trend for Fall
Boots, sneakers, shearling-lined anything — oh my. There are a lot of quintessential fall shoes people are lacing — or zipping — up right now, but the funny thing is, there's an unexpected footwear style gaining a strong foothold. Celebs are on board, and a fashion expert says it's one of this season's next big trends.
Karrie Meiklereid, the creative director of The Style Room — a highly-curated fashion destination that's a more elevated, trend-focused sister site to Zappos — knows fashion. So, when she says something is bound to blow up, we're all ears. This time around, Meiklereid is calling out one shoe that encompasses a newfound love for combining fashion and function.
Meet the indoor-outdoor shoe.
The name speaks for itself. The indoor-outdoor shoe "links back to utility," Meiklereid shared with InStyle. "It's this idea that you can wear [the shoe] inside, but also walk the dog and go on grocery runs in them."
The Best Indoor-Outdoor Shoes to Buy Now
- Birkenstock Arizona Shearling, $150
- Ugg Laton Slide, $100
- Gentle Souls by Kenneth Cole Lavern Strap Slide Cozy, $199
- Coach Lola Clog, $150
- Free People Damon Cozy Mule, $98
- Birkenstock Buckley Shearling, $170
- Tory Burch Tory Charm Mammouth Mule, $348
- Coach 1941 Clog, $175
- Birkenstock Boston Big Buckle, $180
- Josef Seibel Tonga 68, $125
- Dansko Berry Clog, $135
The rise of this practical shoe links back to the concept of fashion and function, which really peaked because of the pandemic. As for what is considered an indoor-outdoor shoe? According to Meiklereid, slides that almost have a clog-like feel or basically anything that you can easily get in and out of. See: these shearling-lined Birkenstocks perfect for the cold weather season, Dansko clogs that are a no-brainer, or these Coach slides.
Supermodels like Bella and Gigi Hadid, Kaia Gerber, and Hailey Bieber have all been spotted in an indoor-outdoor shoe — and on multiple occasions, at that. Some love the pool slides, others prefer Birkenstocks, and all have sported Uggs, perhaps one of the most beloved indoor-outdoor shoes of our time.
The short? There's an indoor-outdoor shoe for every personality and every mood. Right now, I'm in a chaotic-comfy mood, which is why I'm scooping up these Tory Burch Mammouth slides stat.
- Katie Holmes Wore a Never-Before-Seen Version of This Celebrity Obsession
- Shoppers Say Jennifer Garner's Holy Grail Product Makes a "Shocking" Difference in Wrinkles, and It's Only $14
- I Wear These Affordable Faux Leather Leggings From Amazon Practically Every Day — Here's Why They're a Staple
- 10 Conscious Gift Ideas for the Fashion Lover in Your Life