25 Ways to Update Your Wardrobe
25 Ways to Update Your Wardrobe
1. Look tailored yet sexy in stiletto oxfords.
2. Recall Old Hollywood glamour with new art deco baubles.
Pewter earrings with hand-painted enamel and Austrian crystals, Isaac Manevitz for Ben-Amun, $170; ben-amun.com.
3. Let a standout short-sleeve coat make your strongest statement.
Wool coat with tiered sleeves, Loeffler Randall, $695; at NeimanMarcus, 415-362-3900. Silk blouse with necktie, ABS,$188; 310-393-8770. Bamboo knit tank, Cristi Conaway, $150; cristiconaway.com for stores. Wool skirt, Pink Tartan, $295;at Elegance, 718-339-1228.
4. Take command in admiral-inspired fashions.
5. Score street-chic items with tough toucheslike zippers, chains and buckles.
Cotton jacket with three-quarter-length sleeves, Maria Bonita Extra, $305; 212-966-5110. Silk blouse with zipper, Harkham, $225; 615-771-5054. Stretch-cotton skinny jeans with ankle zippers, Rag & Bone, $242; at Neiman Marcus. Necklace of assorted vintage metals, Gemma Redux, $270; gemmaredux.com. Lambskin purse with zippers, Botkier, $625; at Nordstrom, 800-695-8000. Leather high-top sneakers with buckles, Nine West, $79; 800-999-1877 for stores.
6. Bag a frame purse that'sclassic and modern.
Croc-embossed leather with patent trim,Rampage Handbags, $78; rampage.com.
7. Embrace the return of big shoulders with a forties-inspired frock.
8. Rethink leather; designers are using it in surprisingly softer ways.
9. Tweak traditional tweed in a funnel-neck shift.
Wool-acrylic short-sleeve dress with belt, Mariemarie,$525; at shopbop.com.
10. Strike gold with fall’s patterned metallics.
11. Discover your inner ski bunny with an of-the-moment quilted piece.
Nylon and patent leather wedges, Via Spiga, $198; 800-289-6229. Nylon and cowhide purse, Kate Spade, $255; 323-930-2230. Polyester vest, Theory, $315; 877-551-7257.
12. Dress up in a sweater with demure details.
Cashmere-cotton sweater with pleats and bow neck,Julie Haus, $288; at Fetish, 512-457-1007.
13. Strut your stuff in slouchy slacks, a current day-or-night must-have.
14. Outfit yourself for the office in a high-waisted pencil skirt.
15. Clutch a boxy bag with a feminine flourish.
16. Consider autumn’s color-block styles in earthy tones.
17. Shine on in a sparkly, showstopping tunic.
Crepe de chine top with sequins, Tory Burch, $795; 203-622-5023.
18. Bring pizzazz to basic pants with a paper-bag waist.
Cashmere T-shirt, Queue, $220; at Arrive, 305-604-5818. Stretch-polyester wide-leg pants, Walter, $165; at Caravan NYC, 212-260-8189.Vermeil necklace, Giles & Brother by Philip Crangi, $190; shopbop.com.
19. Make a French connection in a sleek silhouette.
20. Jazz up jeans with a floaty blouse featuring flirty fillips.
From top: Silk chiffon with ruffles, Nanette Lepore, $430;212-219-8265. Silk georgette with floral detail, Jenny Han,$156; at Intuition, 877-310-8442. Silk charmeuse withbows, Rebecca Taylor, $244; at Sandpiper, 770-433-2989.
21. Channel Joan Jett. Studs lend a rock and roll vibe to shoes and shirts, bags and bangles.
Modal and spandex studded T-shirt, LaROK, $298; at Intermix stores. Silver-tone bangles, Forever 21, $7 each; forever21.com.Patent flats with studded toe, Sigerson Morrison, $270; 212-941-5404. Studded leather bag with patent straps, High Fashion, $190; at Intuition, 310-287-0327.
22. Stay true blue in this season’s hottest hue.
23. Brighten up neutral menswear with a colorful jacket.
24. Go graphic in a geometric-pattern minidress.
Silk sleeveless dress, Lauren Moffatt, $369; 877-746-7267.
25. Raise the style bar of a simple dress with a wide, twin-buckle belt.
Cashmere sweater dress with cocoon sleeves, Rebecca Taylor, $366; atEmily Grace, 301-251-4184. Double-buckle patent belt, Michelle FlahertyBelts, $168; at Elements, 214-987-0837.
Fall Trends on people.com: