Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Reportedly Have "No Plans" to Return to Social Media
The couple is logging off for good.
A source close to the couple told The Sunday Times that Meghan and Harry have "no plans" to return to Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook to promote their new Archewell Foundation, and the possibility of them creating personal accounts is also "very unlikely." According to the insider, the reason behind the Sussexes's self-imposed ban is because of the amount of "hate" they've received online.
The decision isn't all that surprising, as Meghan previously opened up about how being constantly bullied on the internet during her time as a royal took a toll on her mental health. While making an appearance on the Teenager Therapy podcast, the duchess said the scrutiny she experienced was "almost unsurvivable."
"I am told that in 2019 I was the most trolled person in the entire world — male or female," she said at the time. "Now eight months of that, I wasn't even visible. I was on maternity leave or with a baby. But what was able to just be manufactured and churned out, it's almost unsurvivable. That's so big, you can't even think of what that feels like. Because I don't care if you're 15 or 25, if people are saying things about you that aren't true, what that does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging."
Just because Meghan and Harry won't be documenting their every move on social media, doesn't mean they won't be keeping fans posted on their new projects — or perhaps most importantly, providing updates about their one-year-old son, Archie. Last month, the couple released their family Christmas card through Mayhew, Meghan's animal welfare organization patronage, and they dropped the first episode of their new podcast, Archewell Audio, on Spotify, featuring a very special guest: baby Archie.