The actor claims his ex-wife "unlawfully" sold her stake of the business to a Russian oligarch.
Advertisement
Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie might've filed for divorced nearly six years ago, but the courtroom drama between them still continues. Following legal disputes over child custody and allegations of domestic violence, Jolie and Pitt are battling it out once again — this time, over the sale of their French winery, Château Miraval.

On Thursday, Brad filed a lawsuit against his ex-wife for "unlawfully" selling her stake of the business without his consent. The court documents, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by Page Six, state, "Jolie consummated the purported sale without Pitt's knowledge, denying Pitt the consent right she owed him and the right of first refusal her business entity owed his." Jolie reportedly sold her share of the vineyard to Russian businessman and spirits manufacturer Yuri Shefler back in October.

"She sold her interest with the knowledge and intention that Shefler and his affiliates would seek to control the business to which Pitt had devoted himself and to undermine Pitt's investment in Miraval," the lawsuit claimed, adding that "the vineyard became Pitt's passion – and a profitable one, as Miraval, under Pitt's stewardship, has grown into a multimillion-dollar international success story and one of the world's most highly regarded producers of rose wine." Lawyers for Pitt said Jolie intended to cause "gratuitous harm" to her former husband, who "poured money and sweat equity into the wine business." They continued, "Jolie seeks to seize profits she has not earned and returns on an investment she did not make."

Pitt and Jolie purchased Château Miraval, an estate located in the French village of Correns, for about $28.4 million in 2008, and they later got married there in 2014. According to the legal documents, Pitt contributed 60% to the purchase price, while Jolie paid the remaining 40%.

In January 2021, Jolie reportedly informed Pitt in writing her intention to sell the place "she believed they would 'grow old together.'" Pitt immediately began the negotiations to buy out Jolie's shares, and was surprised when months later, the wine division of the Stoli Group, owned by Shefler, announced its purchase of Jolie's stake.

Pitt's lawyers are seeking a trial by jury.