- LIP GLOSS WITH BEST COLOR RANGE
- This pigment-drenched gloss is available in a variety of dramatic shades-from pale, silvery pinks to wickedly intense plums. Pros also praise the sponge tip, which ensures a quick, even application.
- $14; buy online now at maccosmetics.com.
L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche
- LIPSTICK WITH BEST COLOR RANGE
- No skin tone is shortchanged by this massive collection of 54 vivid hues. The moist, creamy texture keeps lips looking plump; the anti-feathering formula prevents color from bleeding.
- $9; buy online now at drugstore.com.
- BEST LIP GLOSS
- This long-lasting, fragrance-free formula delivers just the right amount of color and shine you want from a gloss. Katy Perry's makeup artist Jake Bailey says: "I work with a lot of singers who don't like gloss because it's too sticky. All they say about this one is, 'Can I keep it?' "
- $27; buy online now at chanel.com.
Revlon Super Lustrous
- BEST INEXPENSIVE LIPSTICK
- On top of the great price, this line's selection of "easy, wearable" shades is "very current, very on target for what women want," says makeup artist Rachel Goodwin, who also applauds the textures: "Great mattes, beautiful sheers."
- $8; buy online now at walgreens.com.
BEST LIP BALM
Hydrating your lips doesn’t get moreluxurious than this: The balm is loadedwith vitamins, botanicals and marineextracts. Or as makeup artist VanessaScali says, "It just feels buttery andlovely."
$45; buy online now at
- LIPSTICK WITH BEST COLOR RANGE
- "This formula has great staying power without drying lips," says Scali. "When I used it on America Ferrera, she didn't have to touch up all night." But with three textures and 58 gorgeous shades, it's hard to choose just one.
- $24; buy online now at narscosmetics.com.
Cover Girl Wetslicks Amaze Mint
- EDITORS' PICK
- We love a double agent. This lightweight gloss delivers breath-freshening peppermint oil and comes in blue-based red, plum and pink shades designed to make teeth look whiter.
- $6; buy online now at covergirl.com.
Maybelline Shine Seduction
- INEXPENSIVE LIP GLOSS WITH BEST COLOR RANGE
- "It doesn't smell like brownies or have glitter in it like a lot of other drugstore glosses," says makeup artist Fiona Stiles of this astonishingly silky formula. The entire color palette (10 shades in all) is wearable and sophisticated.
- $8; buy online now at drugstore.com.
MAC Eye Kohl
- BEST PENCIL EYELINER
- Not only does it draw a precise line without tugging at delicate skin, but it also blends beautifully. "You can use a brush to diffuse the color and soften the look," says makeup artist Bruce Grayson, who has worked with Katie Holmes.
- $15; buy online now at maccosmetics.com.
Dior 5-Colour Palette
- BEST EYE SHADOW
- "If I could have only one shadow palette, this would be it," says Nicole Richie's makeup artist Tasha Reiko Brown-Jovel. The highly refined, versatile shades go on like velvet and stay put all day. Apply with a wet brush for a bolder look.
- $56; buy online now at sephora.com.
- BEST WATERPROOF MASCARA
- Unlike other long-wear formulas, "it doesn't make lashes stiff," says makeup artist Jeanine Lobell, who also praises its superior thickening ability. The best part: It comes off easily with makeup remover, so no more lost lashes.
- $24; buy online now at lancome-usa.com.
L’Oreal Paris Voluminous
Kevyn Aucoin Brow Pencil
- BEST BROW FILLER
- The ideal shade-not too yellow, not too dark. Plus, the self-sharpening tip makes this a must-have for makeup artist Anthea King, who uses it to accentuate Mariah Carey's arches.
- $24; buy online now at kevynaucoin.com.
Dior Dior Show
- BEST OVERALL MASCARA
- Year after year, this takes the top prize for creating dramatic lashes that never clump. Just take a look at Rihanna or Jennifer Hudson-N.Y.C. makeup artist Mylah Morales sweeps it on both wide-eyed divas.
- $24; buy online now at sephora.com.
L’Oreal Paris HIP Powder
- BEST INEXPENSIVE EYESHADOW
- The satiny-smooth texture of these powder shadows wins over pros from coast to coast. "They're so easy to blend, you can apply them with your fingers," says N.Y.C. makeup artist Margot Boccia. With shades at under 10 bucks a pop, we love that you can experiment guilt-free with hues you wouldn't wear every day.
- $7; buy online now at drugstore.com.
Tarte Bottoms Up Lower Lash Mascara
- EDITORS’ PICK
- For those moments that call for extra drama, this mascara does the trick. Its tiny bristles grab and separate hard-to-reach lower lash hairs for a wide-eyed Twiggy look.
- $16; buy online now at tartecosmetics.com.
Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer
- BEST HIGHLIGHTER/LUMINIZER
- Experts like to add a drop of this shimmering liquid to foundation for allover radiance or dot it along cheekbones to make them pop. "I like that it's not too sparkly," says pro Jeanine Lobell.
- $58; buy online now at giorgioarmanibeauty.com.
Stamps of color on the cheeks work only for baby dolls. This intensely pigmented blush becomes part of your skin rather than just chilling out on top of it. “The colors are so versatile,” says Anthea King. “I try shades I normally wouldn’t, and they always look great.”
L’Oreal Paris Bare Naturale Mineral Doux
- BEST INEXPENSIVE POWDER BLUSH
- "Very sheer" and "never blotchy" is how makeup artist Carolina Gonzalez describes this weightless, skin-soothing mineral blush. Bonus: It lasts for hours, even on the most sweltering summer day.
- $15; buy online now at ulta.com.
Stila Convertible Color
- BEST CREAM BLUSH
- These watercolor-inspired shades "aren't super-pigmented, so they give that delicate lit-from-within look," says Brett Freedman, an L.A. makeup artist. According to Jeanine Lobell, "It's beautiful on lips too." She has used it on Natalie Portman and Naomi Watts.
- $25; buy online now at stilacosmetics.com.
Nars Multiple Duo
- EDITORS' PICK
- These dewy hues don't merely warm up our complexion; a dab of the pink on our apples and the bronze on our cheekbones gives our face an instant face-lift.
- $45; buy online now at narscosmetics.com.
Guerlain Terra Cotta
- BEST BRONZER
- Tiny flecks of peach and pink mixed in with bronze and copper make skin look sun-kissed, not baked. "It doesn't look like a fake tan," says N.Y.C. makeup pro Nick Barose, who uses it to give Mischa Barton that just-back-from-Bali glow.
- $50; buy online now at saks.com.
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
- BEST BLEMISH CONCEALER
- Thanks to this perennial winner's gummy consistency, it sticks to blemishes from the moment it's applied, says Fiona Stiles, an L.A. makeup artist. She suggests combining the two shades in the compact to achieve the perfect color match for almost every skin tone.
- $28; buy online now at lauramercier.com.
Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish
- BEST POWDER
- "It absolutely has the lightest texture I've ever felt," says N.Y.C. makeup artist Troy Surratt. He uses the featherweight powder to set makeup and keep his clients' faces shine-free. Another benefit of this colorless formula is that it won't alter the color of your foundation.
- $30; buy online now at sephora.com.
Clé de Peau Beauté
Before you balk at the price, test out this spreadable stick and marvel at how it diffuses dark circles, welts, or even sun spots. “A little goes a long way,” says L.A. makeup artist Mai Quynh. Its dry consistency doesn’t slip or transfer.
Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil
- EDITORS' PICK
- This smudge-free cover-up stick became a fast favorite (and desk-drawer essential) when we realized that its precise point makes covering midday acne flare-ups a cinch. It's also easy to apply to the inner corners of our undereye area.
- $17; buy online now at urbandecay.com.
Max Factor Erace Cover Up
- BEST INEXPENSIVE CONCEALER
- Unlike most bargain formulas, this has an ultra-creamy texture that won't settle into fine lines or wrinkles. "If I had a job at 5 in the morning and needed concealer, I would go straight to the drugstore and buy this one," says Los Angeles makeup artist Amy Chance.
- $5; buy online now at drugstore.com.
Cargo Plant Love
- BEST GREEN MAKEUP LINE
- From the cheerful packaging to the trendy colors, this collection-100 percent renewable and greenhouse-gas neutral-is as good for the planet as it is for your complexion.
- $16-30; buy online now at sephora.com.
- BEST OIL-FREE FOUNDATION
- This super-pigmented shine-stopping liquid goes on surprisingly light, "not matte-ish or cakey as you would expect from an oil-free formula," says N.Y.C. makeup pro Jenna Anton. "It has an amazing ability to make pores disappear," adds Matthew Van Leeuwen, who has used it on Jennifer Lopez.
- $42; buy online now at lauramercier.com.
Smashbox Photo Finish
- BEST PRIMER
- Thanks to its silky silicone base, this gel fills in tiny lines and imperfections, making even the quickest makeup application look professional and "last 10 times longer than wearing foundation alone," says Van Leeuwen, Scarlett Johansson's makeup artist.
- $42; buy online now at smashbox.com.
L’Oreal Paris True Match
"Whenever I walk into a drugstore, this line always catches my eye because the range of colors is so perfect," raves N.Y.C. makeup artist Margot Boccia. All 24 shades go on ultra-sheer and layer nicely for fuller coverage, says Kerry Washington's makeup artist Nick Barose.
I.D. Bare Minerals
- BEST MINERAL FOUNDATION
- The first of its kind and, pros agree, still the best for quick, on-the-go makeup with a clean, sheer finish. "It doesn't get too powdery," says N.Y.C. makeup artist Carolina Gonzalez, who applies it with a soft, natural bristle brush.
- $25; buy online now at bareescentuals.com.