Your Best Brows
Your Best Brows
Katie Holmes (Square)
When it comes to brows, the right shape can open and light up your face. For someone with an angular jaw like Katie Holmes, "Softness is key," says brow expert Anastasia Soare. "A rounder brow arch is needed to soften the corners of the face and create less sharp angles." The end of the brow shouldn't be too pointed, either, which would add another sharp line to this face shape.
TRY THIS PRODUCT “A mechanical brow pencil can create the appearance of fine brow hairs,” says Soare, who recommends one from her own line or form M.A.C. Try a color that matches your hair exactly or is one shade lighter.
BUY ONLINE NOW MAC mechanical pencil, $14.50; at maccosmetics.com.
- Ovals have a bit more freedom when it comes to brow shape, but the best shape is one that follows the brow’s natural line of the brow bone and is slightly thick, but well groomed. "Beyonce's are on the full side, which balances the amount of hair she has," says makeup artist Brett Freedman. "Full glam tresses need a more present brow to anchor them.”
- TRY THIS TOOL It’s best to see a professional when first shaping brows-then you can maintain the shape by tweezing at home with good angled tweezers. “Avoid needlepoint tweezers as you can easily injure yourself,” says Anastasia Soare. “And very square tweezers can shear the hair versus plucking it out from the root, causing the appearance of an ingrown.”
- BUY ONLINE NOW Anastasia tweezers, $28; at " target="NEW">www.nordstrom.com.
Reese Witherspoon (Heart)
A heart-shape face like Reese Witherspoon's looks best with a strong arch. "Reese's work because they are not too rounded, which would make her face look fuller," says celebrity brow guru Ramy. "The arch is strong and the brows are the correct thickness for her facial shape and brow-hair texture." This natural brunette’s brows complement her hair color as well. “Brow color does not have to be an exact match to your hair,” says Ramy. “But it should come within two shades (lighter or darker). And unless you change your hair color dramatically, it’s not necessary to dye your brows-makeup can do wonders to lighten or darken them.”
TRY THIS PRODUCT Clear mascara or brow gel is a great way to tame brows if you don't want to add heaviness with a color and are just looking for something to set brows in place.
BUY ONLINE NOW Maybelline Great Lash clear mascara, $4.34; at drugstore.com.
Kate Hudson (Round)
- "The best brow for a round face shape is one that is as long as possible-the wider the brow, the more surface it covers, making the face appear more narrow," says Ramy. It should also be straight and not too curvy to downplay the roundness of the face. "Kate Hudson's look great on her face because the arch is correctly aligned with her brow bone and it's not too thick or too thin and is shaped in a straight line."
- TRY THIS TOOL “Brow shaping brushes are available at nearly every drug or department store,” says makeup artist Billy Lowe. "They are simple, disposable and are great for grooming." Brush the brows straight up and trim hairs that stick up past the brow line using small hair scissors. Brush the hair down and repeat the process.
- BUY ONLINE NOW e.l.f. Professional eyelash and brow wand, $4.34; at " target="NEW">drugstore.com.
Sarah Jessica Parker (Long)
"A straight or flat brow complements an elongated face," says Bliss's Ann Marie Climi. Sarah Jessica Parker achieves this with her unrounded shape, which gives the illusion of width. It’s also important to take your features into mind when shaping the brow. "If you have smaller eyes, you should choose a thinner brow that isn't very dark in color," says Anastasia Soare. "This will open the eyes."
TRY THIS TOOL Men aren’t the only ones who complain about thinning hair. If your brows are too skimpy, try a product designed to help hair grow thicker and quicker. In the meantime, filling them in is the best remedy.
BUY ONLINE NOW Ramy eye lift brows, $38; at ramybeautytherapy.com.
Jessica Alba (Wide-Set Eyes)
"Leave as much hair as possible at the beginning of the brows in between the eyes," says brow guru Stevi Christine of L.A.'s Warren-Tricomi Salon. Wide-set eyes will appear closer together. Also, make sure the eyebrow is not too long-a shorter length creates the same illusion." Have a professional wax the first time you want to achieve this shape, but be warned: "If you use Retin-A or Accutane or other acne medication, don't wax-waxing in conjunction with these products can remove a layer of skin," says Christine.
TRY THIS TOOL Get a good look at what you’re doing with a magnifying mirror, but don’t put your face right up to it. “By stepping back about a foot away from the mirror, you see your brows in relation to your whole face and it will give you perspective,” says Ramy.
BUY ONLINE NOW Tweezerman magnifying mirror, $15; at tweezerman.com.
Ginnifer Goodwin (Close-Set Eyes)
If you have close-set eyes like Ginnifer Goodwin, you want to create a little distance between the brows without overdoing it. "Create a little lift by tweezing brows to create an upward direction on the outer edges," says Billy Lowe. "And be sure the shape is a little more thin on the outside edges to give the illusion of width." If you’re unsure where to start, you can always try the pencil trick: hold an eyeliner pencil vertically next to your nostril and where it lands on your forehead is where your brow should begin.
TRY THIS PRODUCT "If your brows are sparse, they'll need a good fill in," says Brett Freedman. "If you are using powder, you want a tight-angled brush to apply the product."
BUY ONLINE NOW VanityMark ultra-brow powder, $16; at vanitymark.com.