The 16 Best Age Spot Removers, According to Thousands of Customer Reviews
While New York City-based dermatologist Dr. Debra Jaliman says the most effective way to remove age spots is to get professional laser treatments done, there are a number of skincare products you can use at home that are much more affordable.
When it comes to choosing the right at-home age spot removing treatment, dermatologist Dr. Dendy Engelman tells InStyle the key is to exfoliate the skin to promote cellular turnover — which is why she recommends trying an "AHA and BHA peel that will help remove the top layers of the skin." She also suggests using an age spot removal cream or serum that contains ingredients like hydroquinone, phytic acid, and L-ascorbic acid, which are all known for their brightening powers.
Meanwhile, Dr. Jaliman recommends looking for products that contain kojic acid or licorice extract as they both lighten dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Her other top ingredients to look for are vitamin C, "which stimulates collagen production [and]helps to improve the skin's texture and brightness" and niacinamide, "which has proved to be an excellent treatment for age spots."
Age spot removers are meant to work over time with continued use, but if you aren't seeing them diminishing as quickly as you like or keep finding new age spots popping up, both doctors agree one of the best ways to maximize the effectiveness of these products is to continue to practice sun protection. Wearing sunscreen year-round and limiting sun exposure, especially at peak times (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.), will help protect your skin, prevent future spots from occurring, and let these potent products really work their magic.
Ready to add one to your anti-aging skincare routine? With these dermatologist guidelines in mind, we rounded up 16 age spot removers that customers said made their skin look more youthful. From an age spot removing serum to a multi-tasking moisturizer and a lotion that helps reduce the appearance of dark spots on your hands, keep reading to shop them all.
These are the best age spot removers to shop:
- Best Overall: Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum
- Best Dermatologist Pick: SkinCeuticals PhytoPlus
- Best Organic Option: Kleem Organics Professional Age-Defying Vitamin C Serum
- Best Peel: Dr. Dennis Gross Clinical Grade Resurfacing Liquid Peel
- Best Multitasker: RoC Anti-Aging Multi-Correxion 5-in-1 Anti-Aging Face Moisturizer
- Best Face Oil: Ren Bio Retinoid Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate Oil
- Best Spot Treatment: Dermalogica Age Bright Spot Fader
- Best Serum: Dr. Dennis Gross Clinical Grade IPL Dark Spot Correcting Serum
- Best Liquid Exfoliant: Glo Skin Beauty Pro 5 Liquid Exfoliant
- Best Face Cream: Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream
- Best Patches: Peace Out Microneedling Dark Spot Brightening Dots
- Best Capsules: Elizabeth Arden Vitamin C Capsules
- Best Overnight Treatment: Dr. Dennis Gross Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Overnight Wrinkle Treatment
- Best Affordable: Olay Dark Spot Corrector
- Best Splurge: Clarins Double Serum Complete Anti-Aging Concentrate
- Best For Hands: StriVectin SD Volumizing Hand Cream