These 10 Shampoos Leave Gray Hair Soft and Gleaming
Whether you're a full-fledged silver fox or looking at a pandemic-induced threading of grays, finding the best shampoo for gray hair means balancing a host of concerns. You want something that works with your hair texture, especially if you've noticed it becoming coarse and dry with age, as well as countering any yellow tones for a true, gleaming silver.
According to Shelly Aguirre, hairstylist at Chicago's Maxine Salon, toning your hair is key for a beautiful silver color. Striking the right shade "can make someone actually look younger and hip," Aguirre says, and most crucial is eliminating any yellowness, where gray-focused shampoos now excel.
Speaking to the texture change, New York-based dermatologist Dr. Francesca Fusco previously told InStyle that witnessing your hair becoming wiry and rebellious is par for the course. To soothe (and smooth) your hair, a shampoo with moisturizing agents like macadamia, argan, and almond oils is helpful, as well as vitamins C and E.
You don't have to go overboard with at-home tinting for a pretty color, either. Master colorist Linda de Zeeuw at Rob Peetom Salon in New York once told InStyle she recommends a color-depositing shampoo with a strong purple hue every three weeks to keep grays vibrant and healthy, while one with less intensity is ideal for daily or bi-weekly maintenance. The color theory is akin to wearing a blue-based red lipstick to make your teeth look brighter, so think of the shampoos below as a pep in your gray hair's step.
Ahead, shop the best shampoos for gray hair to help you appreciate your unique tone and texture — no salon visit or hair dye required.
- Best for Brassy Hair: Matrix Total Results So Silver Color Depositing Purple Shampoo
- Best for an All-Over Icy Glow: Milk_shake Silver Shine Shampoo
- Best for Picking Up Highlights: L'Oréal Paris Hair Care EverPure Sulfate Free Brass Toning Purple Shampoo
- Best for Shine: Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo
- Best for Curls: Klorane Anti-Yellowing Shampoo with Centaury
- Best for Wiry Hair: Redken Color Extend Graydiant Purple Shampoo
- Best Smelling: Oribe Silverati Shampoo
- Best for Dry, Fragile Hair: Joico Defy Damage Protective Shampoo
- Best for Blending in Grays: Get Back Gorgeous Purple Shampoo
- Best for Smoothing: Kick Purple Shampoo